Honored Contributor

Re: McDonalds Ruined my Happy Meals

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I picked up a Happy Meal Friday before last for my granddaughter's sleepover.  The toy was the cutest little plastic dinosaur.  However, the expiration on the little container of milk said that day the 10th.  I did not even open it I just tossed it.

Why would you toss the milk?  Do you really think milk is spoiled and unsafe to drink after a certain date?

Milk is okay for about a week after it's sell by date..sometimes longer if kept super cold.

The date is just a guideline for consumers not an indication of when to toss it.

Trusted Contributor

DH and co-workers would get the Happy Meals all the time because that was the amount of food they wanted. DH would get the toys or whatever it was and place them in a bucket and then empty the bucket into a huge garbage bag in the trunk.

When we travel or if I had a long drive with the kids or if one of the boys had a bad day in school (we're talking when they were little), a "surprise" would appear in their car set or book bag or lunch box.....talk about excitement! There were some GOOD toys in those Happy Meals, have to say!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Respected Contributor

My uncle has every Happy Meal toy ever made still in original package.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

While reading articles here and there sometimes there are ads to click on, often one that shows what we thought would be collectable, but with ebay and such sites these things are so plentiful and easy to get. Things such as Cabbage Patch Kids, Pogs, trading cards, Hotwheels, Matchbox cars, Happy Meal toys and so many others are just not going to help pad your retirement account.

On the Happy Meal toys they must still be in their plastic wraps with the meal box itself included. And then the bigger bucks come if you have the whole set.

The Star Wars figurines seem to be one of the few money makers left. It is important to retain the boxes the/any toys came in.

I have a set of the nitro type drag racers/funny cars (hot wheels) early 1990s from MickeyDs still in their bags but didnt keep the boxes. 

eta~ I saw this story yesterday about going to paper toys, I guess it was the idea of two fairly young girls (children) learning about saving our planet and it seems to be coming to fruition, thats pretty awesome for these youngen! Fox did the story on this. 

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@new nickname 4 

Oh yes, and all McDonalds weren't issuing the numbers at the same time.

I lucked out with one of my former customers, she was a manager of a group of 12 plus stores and she got me the entire collection of the Smurfs...love those guys.

@rms1954 I wish you were my neighbor, I would be glad to take them off your hands.

Now for reducing plastics, we have a long way to go, plastic toys is not the problem, they do not end up in the ocean.

Plastic bottles do, how about all those plastic containers that you get from the deli, how about all those plastic storage containers, how about large totes, locknlock and automobile parts.  If you research the group that is picking up the plastic salvage (there was a Nat Geo special on this) we the U.S. are not the problem.  The majority of the ocean's pollution is coming from overseas and I thought that was interesting.  

@Just Bling The issue about our oceans and McD toys is not the issue.

The issue is the manufacture of all plastic.  

The oceans are not the only places where plastic ends up; oceans are not immune from plastic waste from other sources.  We still have land disposal and that includes plastic toys.

While it is true that approx. 80% of ocean plastic comes from Asia, it was once assumed that only the large rivers were the cuprits; it has now been researched further that small rivers, including those in North America, are also major contributors.

If you research Meijer et al (2021) you will see which countries rivers contribute to the problem.  The US produces more, e.g, than Canada so the issue of North America's contribution is still in play.

Off topic but plastic, whether in toys, take out boxes, water bottles, etc. are still a probem and not just because of disposal; the manufacture of all these products is not a pristine process.

Just sayin'.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@beckyb1012 wrote:

I picked up a Happy Meal Friday before last for my granddaughter's sleepover.  The toy was the cutest little plastic dinosaur.  However, the expiration on the little container of milk said that day the 10th.  I did not even open it I just tossed it.

Why would you toss the milk?  Do you really think milk is spoiled and unsafe to drink after a certain date?

Milk is okay for about a week after it's sell by date..sometimes longer if kept super cold.

The date is just a guideline for consumers not an indication of when to toss it.

@Carmie  I don't think they should be giving out milk that is past the date.  I wouldn't buy milk at the store that was past the date either. 

I have kept milk in my fridge past the date as long as it doesn't smell bad and isn't in chunks.  LOL  

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

This is kind of sad.

I have a small pile of the Happy Meal toys from back in the early to mid 90's, when they offered special toys for kids under 3. Some we got from McDonalds, others I picked up at Goodwill, and they partnered with Fisher Price for these. They are really high quality, just right for little chubby hands and I've brought them back out for the grandkids to play with. So glad I saved them, as I looked on ebay and they sell for around $4 to $5 each right now. 

The next generation is lovin' it now!

Fisher Price McDonalds Under 3 Happy Meal Toy ORNAMENTS Cake | Etsy

Vintage Fisher Price McDonald’s 1996 Baby Happy Meal Toys Lot Of 5 Barn Stereo

Wow now those are some real toys.  I forgot how nice they could be back in the day of being a Mom instead of a Grandmother!!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

I decorate a "boy" tree with Star Wars and Super Hero figures, and Girl tree with Disney Princesses and Super Heroines.

A couple years ago I learned that miniature Madame Alexander dolls were given as McDonald's prizes, and I bought several of them for a change up for my Girl's Tree,

Haven't used them yet, but maybe this Christmas......

Honored Contributor

The toys that don’t end up in the ocean are all in landfills along with all the other plastic junk we produce.
Honored Contributor

@RollTide2008 wrote:
My uncle has every Happy Meal toy ever made still in original package.

Wow @RollTide2008 ! That's really something! How many is that? Where does he keep them? 

We have a lot of the toys, but they are well played with. I think I collected the Bambi ones before I had children. They were on the shelf in the nursery when we did.  Smiley Happy