Trusted Contributor

Re: McCann Parents--How can they live with themselves?

If you read my original post, I said that I don't believe that the parents will ever be prosecuted. There may not be enough evidence for that. But there is enough to make many including the majority of the Portuguese and a high percentage of the British public feel that the parents are at fault.

I always hear of cases where law enforcement knows who is at fault but cannot prosecute because there isn't enough to charge the suspect. This case helped me comprehend that. 

There are a lot of posters on here who haven't looked closely at the case imho.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Kate McCann left two 2 year olds alone. No excuse for that in a million years.

She could have screamed, called on her mobile, banged on the next door neighbor's for helped, or of course taken the kids with her.

Honored Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

If you read my original post, I said that I don't believe that the parents will ever be prosecuted. There may not be enough evidence for that. But there is enough to make many including the majority of the Portuguese and a high percentage of the British public feel that the parents are at fault.

I always hear of cases where law enforcement knows who is at fault but cannot prosecute because there isn't enough to charge the suspect. This case helped me comprehend that. 

There are a lot of posters on here who haven't looked closely at the case imho.

And some of us don't immerse ourselves in the particulars of any terrible case or crime and don't enjoy discussing what-ifs and placing blame.

QVC Customer Care

Trusted Contributor

cherry I thought you said you were out of here? Why are you still reading and posting then? You're not forced to comment if it's such a turn off to you. I know you may not think highly of me, but the fact that you keep coming back says something about you.

Honored Contributor

It says more about you.   I came back ,because I got hearts..I posted, because it is a valuable and pertinent piece of advice

Since you decide you know who is a guilty person, do you recognise yourself?

Respected Contributor

I was living in London at time of this tragedy and I do not believe the statement that the majority of Brits believe the parents are guilty of crime.  Most of the comments and views I heard - and there were many - felt very sorry for these parents and that it was a terrible mistake leaving their children alone.

Too many amateur speculations on this thread, too many would be Sherlock Holmes in my opinion.

Just feel this is a terrible tragedy and I feel for the parents my heart feels for them.

Trusted Contributor

cherry I don't know. It's gotten to the point that maybe the best thing to do is avoid eachother. You feel like you know the entirety of my character because you've read posts I've made on a public forum. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even if they believed their children were safe from intruders, they should have been concerned about their children waking in a strange room all alone and being frightened. 

They couldn't know how trustworthy the hotel staff was, even then pedophiles were everywhere. There are those who would pay thousands for such a pretty three year old.

The parents were educated and surely knew that.

Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I don’t know how complicit the McCanns were in their daughters disappearance.But I do know that I would never leave a child alone,period.I don’t care if everyone else there  left their children alone.I would never have done it.

When my son was small I never ever left him unattended no matter what!! 

I never would either, and in fact I was once in a situation where it was strongly encouraged - My husband and I were invited to our next door neighbor's house for wine & cheese, and they said we should leave our sleeping one-year-old at home.  Our houses were close together, it was summer, and all the windows would be open.  Yes, for sure we would have heard him if he cried.  But I wouldn't do it.  

Having said that, I also lost this same son in a store once.  He was 3 years old, I looked away briefly, and he was gone in a flash.  He was eventually found on an entirely different floor, and fortunately nothing awful had happened.  He just wandered off.  I was always exceptionally vigilant, but it can happen to anyone.

I also think that a parent making a decision I probably wouldn't have made doesn't mean they're guilty of murdering their own child.  That's way too much of a stretch for me.

@NYC Susan, I had the very same situation when my daughter was three-years-old. We were in a department story, and I, too, looked away briefly. Then she was gone.

I could barely breathe let alone speak. Somehow I managed to find her. IIRC, a salesperson had picked her up and was talking to her.

A few years later, I was watching her in a group swimming class. I was chatting with another parent when I realized that the class was over but I couldn't see her. All I recall is that when I did see her and knew that she was okay, I was so shaken that I had to leave her with the mom for a minute to collect myself.

To this day, when I think of  either event, it feels as if I'm back there, in a panic that is impossible to describe.

I know better than to jump to conclusions about others; we are not perfect.

Absolutely!

I can still picture the little blue & red jacket he was wearing, because I frantically ran all over that store just searching and praying for a glimpse of it.  That was my focus. Everything else faded away.  Nothing else mattered - the people I passed, my ride down the escalator - all of that was a complete blur.  I was 100% focused on finding my child.  It was an awful, awful feeling.  He was there, and then he was gone.  The panic is - as you said - impossible to describe.

And I still react very emotionally when I think about it all these years later even though he was found and he was fine and I took him home and life went on.  I can't imagine what it must be like for parents who are not that lucky.