Esteemed Contributor

Re: McCann Parents--How can they live with themselves?

The McCanns were with 7 other people and there were 8 children in the group taking turns checking on them. It had worked out for them previous nights. I agree that it isn't something *I* would do either...

I watched the Netflix documnetary and it was very interesting and well done.....I feel for the parents

Respected Contributor

Anyone who has had a missing child knows the absolute hell parents experience.  Parents fortunate enough  not to have had that experience have no idea the depths of despair that one goes through.  

Our DD was missing for a month plus several days.  She was 18, but age doesn't matter when you have no idea where your child is, if they are ok, etc.   We were finally able to locate her and she was not harmed.  Those long sleepless nights, days full of worry are indescrible.  All I could think about was if she was being harmed, was she able to eat, if she was ill was she seeing a doctor?  It was hell, I cried all the time. 

I haven't watched the entire series about the McCann's child so I have no opinion on the case.  However, if her parents are guilty of harming her I have no compassion.  If she was taken, I pray for her and the parents. 

Respected Contributor

This is my nic, so sorry to hear your family went through this. Parents worst nightmare. Parents actually worry about all things!!! We will probably never know the truth about this Madeline case. Its just and old case and obviously a cold case.Something new would have to be discovered.
Esteemed Contributor

@cherry wrote:

explain this one

she was giving a theory, not a shred of proof    People prey on the family, just to make money for themselves

Pray tell me why would   anyone involved in the British government be involved with this?

I think people who do this type of scummy  theories and  money making speculation should be sued for defamation of character. They are nothing more than ghouls preying on the misery of the parents

Mrs Brown was seen on camera during an explosive documentary saying that Maddie could have died as a result of an accident, abuse or neglect.

In the dramatic trailer for the show, she was seen saying: 'They are lying and they are concealing guilt,' speaking of the 2007 disappearance, when Maddie was three.

During the show, she said: 'There are other cases where a child has come to some kind of harm by way of a parent either by neglect or abuse and the parents have indeed covered that crime up by trying to move the child's body and claim that the child has gone missing and has been abducted.'

But Miss Brown has since received hate mail over the comments, and launched a legal claim against the Seven West Media and Rahni Sadler, who interviewed her.

She claims that during the hour-long Skype interview with Sadler, she made it abundantly clear that the claim was merely a theory, based on her view of evidence.

Miss Brown told The Sun: 'I thought whether people agreed with the evidence or not, I would be able to present this as a professional.'

She added: 'The show purposefully set out to destroy my reputation. The only reason I was featured was to annihilate me by making me look foolish.'

My immediate thought also was "What would the British government have to do with a missing child in Portugal?"

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian wrote:

All I know is that it was a horrendous tragedy. About ten or fifteen years ago my husband and I were enjoying a glorious vacation inBellagioo, Italy. When we got to our room I found one of those Do-Not-Disturb cards. However, instead of that message, there was a picture of a sleeping baby and in many languages the sign read something like «Do not disturb because there is a sleeping infant alone inside.» I was horrified and even took the sign home so people could see it. In Norway, people leave their babies alone in the carriage outside while they do their shopping inside. I think a Danish couple was arrested in NYC for doing that.

I know the series, Call The Midwife, is set in late fifties to mid to late sixties.  But it always struck me how the parents always leave them on a pram outside their home, apt or outside a store they are visiting. They leave babies in prams outside alone while they visit the midwife inside building!!  Babies that are old enough to sit too!!   I would worry more about the baby injuring themselves, not too mention being abducted.  I don't ever remember seeing babies like outside here in the states!!  I had my twins in 1967, and no one I knew would do this.  I had to drag that darn side by side twin stroller in, heavy stainless inside.  Many Times i could not go inside as stroller could not fit. Also, in european  movies Ihave seen babies left sleeping, while mom popped off to store .

Super Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:

I don't have any reason to believe the parents were involved in her vanishing....but when police can't find a missing child, they almost always blame the parents. I could not personally go off and leave a child that age unattended to go to dinner; if I couldn't see my child, I would have no assurance she was safe, regardless of whether others there did the same thing or not.  If all others there left their kids alone in their rooms, it seems it would be a pedophile's perfect scenario.

Also, the children could choke, fall out of bed, develop a sudden illness, or more. So many reasons not to leave little ones unattended like that.

Super Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

@Vivian wrote:

All I know is that it was a horrendous tragedy. About ten or fifteen years ago my husband and I were enjoying a glorious vacation inBellagioo, Italy. When we got to our room I found one of those Do-Not-Disturb cards. However, instead of that message, there was a picture of a sleeping baby and in many languages the sign read something like «Do not disturb because there is a sleeping infant alone inside.» I was horrified and even took the sign home so people could see it. In Norway, people leave their babies alone in the carriage outside while they do their shopping inside. I think a Danish couple was arrested in NYC for doing that.

I know the series, Call The Midwife, is set in late fifties to mid to late sixties.  But it always struck me how the parents always leave them on a pram outside their home, apt or outside a store they are visiting. They leave babies in prams outside alone while they visit the midwife inside building!!  Babies that are old enough to sit too!!   I would worry more about the baby injuring themselves, not too mention being abducted.  I don't ever remember seeing babies like outside here in the states!!  I had my twins in 1967, and no one I knew would do this.  I had to drag that darn side by side twin stroller in, heavy stainless inside.  Many Times i could not go inside as stroller could not fit. Also, in european  movies Ihave seen babies left sleeping, while mom popped off to store .

My Mom used to tell stories of leaving me, among many other babies, in my carriage outside Lord & Taylor’s in Queens while she shopped and went to the Birdcage for lunch. She said every once in a while one mom would go outside and check the babies. Nobody back then (1951) worried about abduction, even in New York City! I used to tease her about trying to get rid of me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

Why is this particular case talked about so much? Is there a bigger reason for this case?

@missy1   This thread is old but is brought up because some are darned determined to convince everyone else that the parents killed their daughter.

The discussion will continue to go round and round; the parents killed her, the parents didn't kill her, the culture of leaving children alone, who goes to dinner without their kids, etc. etc. etc.

Until the parents are arrested, tried, and put to death some here will never give in; they WANT them to be guilty because THEY BELIEVE it.

Nothing will substitute that mind set, and I can't imagine being so dug in about this that pushing for the parents to be guilty of murder or selling their daughter will always be all they see.

How sad.

The OP was convinced that the parents are guilty (and was insulting to those of us who disagreed), but she didn't resurrect this old thread.  It was @Vivian, who may or may not have realized that the thread is old, but she's clearly not determined to convince anyone of the parents' guilt.

Valued Contributor

@JBKO  Tonite I've been re-watching the 8-part Docu on Netflix (but left a lot of details out).  I watch and listen to the McCanns very closesly, especially after seeing an expert Statement Analyst (Peter Hyatt) break down their numerous interviews and statements.  The sedating, accidental death, hiding and moving the girls' body has made the most sense, especially the 2 dogs' findings.

They live with themselves because they justify their actions: they have 2 other children, family in UK and good careers.  It's tough -- I don't know what I'd do in that situation.  (never thought of sedating my kids!) They wouldn't be treated well in Portuguese prisons.  They know what happened to their daughter but the case became the "Kate & Gerry Show" and they're not sympathetic.  What a waste of money and resources, and a bad example for other parents who legitimately lose their children.  I think the McCanns must have Friends in High Places -- in the U.K.  YouTube has some great videos on the case.  They weren't even charged with Neglect! They sue anyone who contradict their 'story', had a book banned -- it was written by the first Chief Investigator, they sued him, we can't read his book then he was fired.  

Valued Contributor

@cherry  Where did you come across this info? I've heard it alluded to but without the details you mentioned.  

There's a lot more to this story than we'll probebly ever know.....poor Madeleine.