Honored Contributor

Re: McCain Funeral Procession - from Rotunda to the Vietnam Memorial

Illuminating the sense of loss and grief that I feel for the passing of Senator McCain was the singing of "Battle Hymn of the Republic."    That hymn was associated with the funeral procession of Senator Robert Kennedy.

The deep sadness I felt for the loss of Senator Kennedy I am now feeling for the loss of Senator McCain.  They both transcended politics.  Decency and respect for the dignity of each person were principles that guided them.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Silver Lining wrote:

Is Carol McCain, his first wife, the mother of John McCain's three eldest children there? Seems like they might want her to share the ceremonies on behalf of their family. 

@Silver Lining.  I believe I read she would attend the burial ceremony at the Naval Academy.

Thank you for that information, @proudlyfromNJ. I have always felt sad for her. This must be hard for her, too.

Of course it is hard and sad for her. When my first husband died no one even bothered to tell me! Granted, we didn't have kids, but it still hurt.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ How awful, I'm so sorry that happened to you.
"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Lindsay Graham looks so distraught.

I wanted to hug him.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

now, to the service at the National Cathedral. all strength to the McCain family.

@ms traditional  I mentioned this the other day-what a long road they have to travel to the final resting place of Sen. McCain.  I don't know how they hold up.

I think the first evening after everything is said and done-that is the hardest. 

As though the loved one was still there until that final good-bye, you know?

That after all the services, the after funeral congregating, after everyone has gone home and you are left with that emptiness, knowing this space will never have the presence of a loved one again.  To me that is when the finality of it all hits-because no matter how many people embrace you there is the one who cannot ever hold you again.

In those quiet moments in that first night after all is said and done, you can speak from the heart with words that only that loved one can understand.  With nobody else around.  Just you and your loved one.  To me that is the final good-bye.  For me, anyway.

*sob*

@Cakers3

Undoubtedly exhausting, but given John McCain's Irish heritage, I suspect among the immediate family there will be a few bottles of Jameson cracked open and a toast or two being made in his memory.

My husband (through marriage) has a large clan of Irish relatives. The first time I was subjected to a celebration immediately after burying a loved one, I was astounded and thought how sacrilegious. Now I have come to realize this is their tradition and I honor it.

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@ms traditional wrote:

now, to the service at the National Cathedral. all strength to the McCain family.

@ms traditional  I mentioned this the other day-what a long road they have to travel to the final resting place of Sen. McCain.  I don't know how they hold up.

I think the first evening after everything is said and done-that is the hardest. 

As though the loved one was still there until that final good-bye, you know?

That after all the services, the after funeral congregating, after everyone has gone home and you are left with that emptiness, knowing this space will never have the presence of a loved one again.  To me that is when the finality of it all hits-because no matter how many people embrace you there is the one who cannot ever hold you again.

In those quiet moments in that first night after all is said and done, you can speak from the heart with words that only that loved one can understand.  With nobody else around.  Just you and your loved one.  To me that is the final good-bye.  For me, anyway.

*sob*

@Cakers3

Undoubtedly exhausting, but given John McCain's Irish heritage, I suspect among the immediate family there will be a few bottles of Jameson cracked open and a toast or two being made in his memory.

My husband (through marriage) has a large clan of Irish relatives. The first time I was subjected to a celebration immediately after burying a loved one, I was astounded and thought how sacrilegious. Now I have come to realize this is their tradition and I honor it.

As grueling and exhausting as this is, they haven't felt it yet.  

When the speeches are over and the mourners go home, his loved ones will have to live with the silence and the empty doorway.

Honored Contributor

Danny Boy always makes me lose it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tansy wrote:

And during it, CIndy McCain laying her head on her son's shoulder.

That's it for me.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

I haven't put the television on this morning because I knew it would be emotional. I will watch later on this evening on C-Span. 

Senator McCain was one of a kind and a true American.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

I have never warmed up to Danny Boy.  But I have lost it with America.  So beautiful.  This is the America that he worked for his entire life.