Respected Contributor

McCain Funeral Procession - from Rotunda to the Vietnam Memorial

starting now.  the stop at the War Memorial is of particular significance to all of us who lost loved ones in that war.  

then on to National Cathedral.

Respected Contributor

Re: McCain Funeral Procession - from Rotunda to the Vietnam Memorial

It’s an awesome display of respect for the man and our country’s traditions. (His family musy be exhausted.)

Respected Contributor

red white and blue wreath - IN HONOR OF ALL WHO SERVED

Esteemed Contributor

I am reminded of the values that all of us should hold dear. As Americans, we honor Senator McCain by remembering all that unites us, not what divides us.

QVC Customer Care

Esteemed Contributor

I agree that unity and bipartisanship are not likely to happen. Nevertheless, Senator Mc Cain’s life honored those values, which are worth thinking about, especially today.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

now, to the service at the National Cathedral. all strength to the McCain family.

Honored Contributor

My heart goes out to all the family, but to live to 106 as Mother McCain has and have to bury a child is just beyond imagining.  They are all amazing!

Renee Fleming to sing Danny Boy near the end of the service.  Tears will be shed then for sure.

Honored Contributor

@ms traditional wrote:

now, to the service at the National Cathedral. all strength to the McCain family.

@ms traditional  I mentioned this the other day-what a long road they have to travel to the final resting place of Sen. McCain.  I don't know how they hold up.

I think the first evening after everything is said and done-that is the hardest. 

As though the loved one was still there until that final good-bye, you know?

That after all the services, the after funeral congregating, after everyone has gone home and you are left with that emptiness, knowing this space will never have the presence of a loved one again.  To me that is when the finality of it all hits-because no matter how many people embrace you there is the one who cannot ever hold you again.

In those quiet moments in that first night after all is said and done, you can speak from the heart with words that only that loved one can understand.  With nobody else around.  Just you and your loved one.  To me that is the final good-bye.  For me, anyway.

*sob*

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh