Respected Contributor

McCain Frozen Hash Brown Recall

This takes the cake for one of the funniest recalls I've seen in my years of reading these things. Sure beats the usual botulism, salmonella, and listeria:

McCain Foods USA, Inc. announced today it is voluntarily recalling retail, frozen hash brown products that may be contaminated with extraneous golf ball materials, that despite our stringent supply standards may have been inadvertently harvested with potatoes used to make this product.

Consumption of these products may pose a choking hazard or other physical injury to the mouth.

Hole in one. The recall is for real, announced today.
Respected Contributor

Re: McCain Frozen Hash Brown Recall

How in the world did golf ball material get into hash browns.  Thankfully, I didn't find any in my Easter side dish of Ree Drumund's "Funeral Potatoes" which were outstanding.

FORE!!!!

Honored Contributor

Makes you wonder what they've been doing back in the potato-cutting room. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Maybe the field where they grow the potatoes is next to a golf course and there were some really bad shots. Voila, golf balls in potatoes!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Big enough to cause choking??

That's pretty big.

@noodleann wrote:

This takes the cake for one of the funniest recalls I've seen in my years of reading these things. Sure beats the usual botulism, salmonella, and listeria:

McCain Foods USA, Inc. announced today it is voluntarily recalling retail, frozen hash brown products that may be contaminated with extraneous golf ball materials, that despite our stringent supply standards may have been inadvertently harvested with potatoes used to make this product.

Consumption of these products may pose a choking hazard or other physical injury to the mouth.

Honored Contributor

Do golf balls end up in recycling?That could explain but makes me worry about the chemicals being introduced into our food supply.

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

Big enough to cause choking??

That's pretty big.

@noodleann wrote:

I think any unexpected foreign object small enough to escape notice in a forkful of food could cause choking. They might have to allow for very small children, too, who have smaller diameter guts than we do.