Esteemed Contributor

Re: Maybe this Pandemic will wake us up to some things that need to change

@Pook wrote:

To me the most important thing we might learn is that life isn't all about us and we need to be more kind to others.   

@Pook   Bingo!!

Esteemed Contributor

@BrandiDavis wrote:

For those that know more about stuff like this, IS it even possible for us to bring our manufacturing of medications here to the U.S.?

I have wondered the same thing for years. It seems if they can do a trillion dollar bailout, they could figure out a way to bring back the manufacture of meds here. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@BrandiDavis wrote:

For those that know more about stuff like this, IS it even possible for us to bring our manufacturing of medications here to the U.S.?

I have wondered the same thing for years. It seems if they can do a trillion dollar bailout, they could figure out a way to bring back the manufacture of meds here. 

You can't control international corporations. You can try to incent them, but they can always go where conditions are better for their purposes. Then it's a bidding war where everyone loses. There's no way to make them stay anywhere. They just leave if you try to push them around too much. They are almost nations unto themselves.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

@wismiss wrote:

Such as 90%-92% of our generic medication is produced in a foreign country.  

Maybe we need to bring back manufacturing jobs to the United States so we aren't dependent upon another country, especially for the manufacture of life-sustaining products.  

We may have to pay more for some products, but in the long run that may be what is best for us as a country.

Great idea but most insurance companies determine what a patient can have and they charge exorbitant amounts for drugs made in this country. I know Aetna has place a lot of my brand name drugs made in America on a different tier than my generic prescriptions. My insulins for Type 1 diabetes cost me $900.00 every 3 months and they are made in the states. After awhile, it becomes cost prohibitive if you are on a number of prescriptions... This is with Medicare and Aetna as our supplemental prescription plan (Silver Script).

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@wismiss 

Unfortunately it isn't only medications. While factories closed in our country, many got rich, and they were not part of any company or corporation.

That's all I will say.

hckynut

Exactly - I wish people would finally wake up to that.

Heard one of our senators addressing this (drug manufacturing) on radio.

...last week?

Floating the idea of federal government assistance in relocating drug manufacturers back to U.S.

So the idea is probably one of many on the table right now.

Afraid a lot of news receives little or no coverage.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

OR......maybe it will wake us up and we will all realize that the planet is interdependent and we need to value other nations as allies. We should develop relationships with other nations and quit acting like we are a big island that owns the world. We need each other.

@ Well that was the mantra for the past several years - and here we are.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@  For the past few years, as you say, ‘We’ have allowed emission levels to increase, scrapped the EPA, sold off swaths of our National Forests to gas production, increased off shore drilling, lowered MPG regulations on new cars, vastly increased fracking, and lowered building codes which required energy efficiency. 

Hardly the actions of a nation in-tune with it’s interdependence with the planet.

As for improving relations with other nations... we have betrayed those we had sworn to protect, showed disdain and disrespect for those who have long been our allies, and ignored our responsibilities to international committees and treaties we once lead.

Look where we are.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe Well stated. You are 100% right.

Respected Contributor

@Pook @NicksmomESQ   well 1000% agreed.   This me, me, me world  just really makes me crazy.  Co workers are whining about cooking, at least you have a job and income, unlike so many at this time.  

Cut off THEIR income with no notice and you won’t worry about what $50 take out they need or dinner out you are whining about because you have to cook for a while.  More kindness and patience to others. I hope it happens.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

OR......maybe it will wake us up and we will all realize that the planet is interdependent and we need to value other nations as allies. We should develop relationships with other nations and quit acting like we are a big island that owns the world. We need each other.

@Goldengate8361 We provide assistance to over 100 other countries. Does that count as a “relationship”?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We will "always be dependent on another country." And other countries will always be dependent on us. This not going to change, no matter how hot the rhetoric of nationlism becomes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland