Respected Contributor

Re: Maybe someone can help me understand?

One of my college classes I took at a place called the HEAT Center, which was for classes that were taught at the university of out of town, but you would attend the lecture via a video link. You watched the class taught by the professor on the computer and interacted with him or her. The homework was done online at home---there was a deadliine---and submitted via email. Tests were done via the video link in the classroom, we did ours online, and submitted by email as soon as we were done the test. There was only a few of us in the class, and it was very relaxed. I liked doing it this way. Because you had to listen to the lecture on video, you couldn't afford to drift off and miss important things, you had to sit and take notes. 

Trusted Contributor

I want to thank everyone who has participated in this thread; I learned a lot and enjoyed the discourse.

Honored Contributor

@jaxs mom wrote:

Are you talking about independent study or homeschooling? State law varies on homeschooling. Some states have zero requirements regarding testing or registering and some states have a ton of requirements. 

As far as are people "really learning" you do realize that institutional schools are a modern invention and that for millenia people learned outside of a formal school system. 

I'm sure you'll get lots of hand wringing posts though, knowing this forum. As a homeschooler I'm not interested in defending my legal parental rights, on this forum,  when it comes to educating my kids. 

Being defensive doesn't do anything to answer the OP's real question.

Homeschooling, if done completely in front of a computer is not a real and solid education, any more than it is for the virtual academy type schools out there.

I believe OP was really looking for some answers about how things that seem to be missing (like socialization, labs, hands on, presentations, teamwork on projects) from online learning are either approached or if they even exist for a lot  of online schooling.

Honored Contributor

@game-on

Your post about teaching 5th graders to read was so right on!

The system you worked in was certainly blessed to have you! I imagine that parent with tears in his eyes thought you were a miracle to be there for his children!

When a person teaches those who are behind in their learning, it is my opinion that a crucial factor in their success lies in their interest in being a keen observer of human behavior.

Now that I think about it, this important ingredient of learning is missing from computer-based instruction.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

Here in my district a lot of kids go the cyber route. Most of them are kids who either are failing, dislike school or have trouble getting up on time. The district is billed, not the parents and it's an easy option for parents against being truant.

Although, I know other students who have used online classes because they are busy with jobs, other courses and have a true interest in learning.

Esteemed Contributor

There are some online schools here in South Carolina.  The state has a virtual school and there are some online schools operated by companies (one is owned by the same that owns the Pearson textbooks).  I know a little about them because I have a couple of friends who quit working in public schools to stay at home and teach virtually.

One friend taught middle school science and now she's an online teacher with the charter school owned by Pearson.  She said that she wanted to do it to stay home with her younger kids.  (However, I looked online to see about employee requirements, and they say they don't want the teacher to have children at home during their school hours.) They require her to be online to teach a live module at least once per week for one hour.  The students know that day/time so they can make arrangements to watch, but it's recorded so they can tune in later if they want to do so.  She sets office hours and has to be online 8 hours each day in case any students need help.  She also grades work and submits feedback during that time.  The company can tell whether or not she's logged in and working.  They schedule some virtual staff meetings using a platform like Google Hangout, but she also has to drive about 1 1/2 hours away for staff meetings every other week.  

Sounded like a pretty good gig, but here's what surprised me:  she has more than 400 students!  Plus the pay is much less than she would be making in the local public school.  I asked how she managed so many students, and she said she's been assigned a virtual homeroom of about 40 students that she must regularly contact and support, and the other teachers have similar homerooms.  If a child is failing math or missing history assignments, she's supposed to step in and offer support even though she's a science teacher.  Sometimes it's a matter of contacting those teachers to see what the student needs then act as a go between.  In the meantime, she has homeroom teachers contacting her about science assignments, or she contacts homeroom teachers to have them follow up for her about science assignments.  So she focuses on 40, but makes sure she's available for the other 360+.  

About testing:  students complete assignments at home, and when they enroll they are supposed to provide a name of the person (mom, dad, etc.) who will be their home support person.  However, all of these virtual students are expected to take the end-of-year state exam.  The company reserves conference rooms in various parts of the state and the virtual teachers gather to administer the state exam similarly to how the regular public schools do it.

My understanding is they advertise virtual schools for students who are really into sports or arts programs and need a flexible schedule. They also think of themselves as the alternative for the students who just weren't successful in traditional settings.