Occasional Contributor

Re: Maybe someone can help me understand?

We live in Texas and my granddaughters who are in high school live in a rural area and are they now in high school. They are doing all their courses on the computer with the State of Tx mandated  courses. They are tested just like all glasses are and must come into San Antonio for their state required acedemic  testing 2x a year. They also had to have a high average to be able to participate. This is very popular in Texas where city schools are over crowded and teaches  are in short supply for rural areas. Both girl are goal oriented with college futures and careers already planned for. It seems to be working well but I do worry about them not participating in the fun of high school that we had.

Honored Contributor

@Oostende

I have a question for you, but first

Congratulations on having a wonderful learner!

Here is my question:

How involved were you with her education?

I really take all comments at face value because if there are any "blanket" theories that fit EVERY learner, we don't know what these are yet, I guess.

So if someone home schools/has their child learning by computer/places their child in a classroom-- I value anybody's opinions.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

@LTT1 I was committed to her education.  I believe it is the job of parents to take responsibility for their children's education.  

For some parents, working with the public school teacher is best.  For others, perhaps private or parochial schools are best.  We did what worked for us.  I don't think parents can have too many options.  

People and circumstances vary and one-size-fits-all rarely does.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was talking to a lady one day who was an online teacher. I asked her how she knew that her students were the ones who were actually taking the tests. She said that she had caught a couple students who turned in below average homework, but aced the tests. She said that if there are any suspicions, at the end of the semester or school year, they send their final exams to the high school so that they can be monitored by someone. They have to bring ID. She said she caught a couple students who were obviously cheating. The students in this school know up front that the school can do this, so they don't usually try to cheat.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Respected Contributor

The son of friends of mine did on-line middle school and high school for 8 & 9th grade. He's an elite hockey player and it was a "school" specifically designed for athletes. After 9th grade he returned to a more traditional school at a prep school known for it's rigorous academics (and hockey) and had no problem with the coursework in the classroom. He said the biggest adjustment was having to be in class at a certain time, rather than logging on and doing the work at his convenience. He'll be back to the on-line school for his senior year as he'll be playing in the USHL and traditional schooling just won't work. It was his decision to go this route and while it's a bit unusual, it's worked well for him. He's been receiving full ride scholarship offers to D1 hockey programs since he turned 14, has had NHL teams looking at him since he turned 16 and committed to a college at 17. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

When I see those ads on TV I always think of them being an alternative or additional tool for homeschooling.

Respected Contributor

@game-on wrote:

@Meowingkitty.....I drove 2 hrs from my home 2 or 3 times a week to get my Masters.... there were not computer classes offered.... I was in my late 30's when I started this degree.  I think we do what we have to do....

@Bri36....I agree.... we are lucky to have many choices ....

Who knows.... maybe I would take classes on my computer if I were younger?  I just know that being able to ask my teachers/instructors questions and have group activities made my experience enjoyable.

@game-on, I can't necessarily speak to grade school education because I teach at the college level but I  have taught quite a few online courses.  I imagine though that some of the strategies are the same when developing an online course.

In my online courses, students could certainly ask questions and were encouraged to do so.  Since many of them did ask questions and course evaluations reflected strong positives for items addressing the opportunity to address questions, receive feedback, etc., I can surmise that most students feel they have ample opportunity to ask questions.

Modules are developed with specific student learning objectives.  Those objectives are addressed via a number of different strategies that should address various learning strategies for students learn differently.  Online platforms today include technology that allows teachers to video discussions or lecture content if they desire.  There are platforms that allow presentations similar to PowerPoint that allow instructors to summarize material, imbed youtube videos in a particular slide or imbed website links that provide important information or different perspectives that assist the learning in achieving the student learning objective.

Various types of questions can be inserted as the student progresses through the module requiring the learner to answer the question before they can progress on in the module.  When the student answers the question they receive feedback if they answered correctly or specific information as to why the answer they selected is not the correct option.

There are a phlethora of various strategies out there that offer amazing opportunities to create online courses.  There are even virtual world  platforms that instructors can use in which each student has a different avatar to participate in group activities or group discussions.

One of the most challenging tasks encountered was developing a community assessment for nursing students using a virtual world platform of "Second Life".  I had to attend training sessions and got to be good friends with our IT person, but it worked!

I also frequently use links to Khan Academy as a refresher for students that needed updating or reinforcement of math, anatomy, or pathophysiology.  Khan Academy does have math, science etc for grade school levels too.  

I can't imagine that grade school online courses and/or assignments don't use some of the same strategies.   Oh, and conferences can take place as well....they just take place using a video link up for real time discussions or meetings.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

You are way behind the times in education.  Not only to children have the opportunity to learn via computer but business and industry widely use computer-based instruction to train employees. 

My son worked for Lowe's and he was constantly taking courses related to the area of the store in which he worked.  It included information not only how to sell but technical aspects of the equipment he was selling. 

In my own state agency, they completely changed the way employees performed one of their primary job functions.  The training consisted in part of 160 hours of computer-based training in addition to a couple days of classroom training. 

@Kachina624

The company I work for uses computer based training too---and let me tell you that is the WORST attempt at teaching EVER!!!!  They walk you through a few scenarios (very simplistic ones and unlike the ones you actually encounter), you take a short Quiz.(and we must get a passing grade to keep our job)...and these quizzes can be easily passed because the simplest questions are asked....and BOOM you are now considered an "expert"....me and my co-workers just sit there and shake our heads and say......."so what do we do now".......we didnt really learn a darn thing! Oh I know some companies that produce these courses are probaby better than others but SHEESH! this is downright ridiculous---It's dumbed down and there's no one to even answer a question based on a real experience you've had....pretty sad!   Now I'm not totally against computer training, in fact I learn a lot of things just by googling a question about assorted topics on my own---especially computer fixes and stuff, as they said on "School House Rock"---KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!..OOOPS---that was actually from the original quote, Sir Francis Bacon in 1597..........Woman Very Happy....... Interplanet Janet, Conjuntion Junction, and Im Just A Bill are from School House Rock! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

@akaburtonfan wrote:

I wonder how online testing works. How do they know if there's any cheating going on. For instance how do they know it's the actual student taking the test or doing the work and not someone else helping them? 

In college, I took several tests/exams online. They were all timed so it didn't allow "time" for cheating that's for sure! As far as someone else taking the test for you....well.....I guess that would be the honor system. But if someone was that prone to cheating, they'd find a way to do it in person too.

~~~ So many handbags....so few hands ~~~

Respected Contributor

@Iluvhandbags wrote:

@akaburtonfan wrote:

I wonder how online testing works. How do they know if there's any cheating going on. For instance how do they know it's the actual student taking the test or doing the work and not someone else helping them? 

In college, I took several tests/exams online. They were all timed so it didn't allow "time" for cheating that's for sure! As far as someone else taking the test for you....well.....I guess that would be the honor system. But if someone was that prone to cheating, they'd find a way to do it in person too.

Exactly, we develop exams so that they are timed to decrease the risk and opportunity to take time to try and look up a question.  Experienced faculty also write questions to where they are not so easily just looked up in a book or online.  Additionally, we have software on the platform so that if the student taking the exam attempts to minimize the screen to use the same computer to try and look something up, it "kicks" you out of the exam.  What happens after that is up to the policy of each instructor where I am. 

There are also various software programs that can be purchased that also analyzes individual characteristics of students and how they hit computer keys, speed of typing, etc. to help verify if someone else might be taking the exam.  Others have webcams that initiate when the student starts taking the exam.  We don't have those programs at this point, but they have been considering that possibility.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *