Honored Contributor

Re: Maybe We Should Stop Giving Advice?

@goldensrbest wrote:

It should be human nature to want to help others, but  when people do not take advice,and keep posting about the same problem, there is not much any of us can do, we do not know them personally, and what might be really going on with them,it is not about,TURNING OUR BACK ON THEM, but it is also our nature to get tired of going over the same thing over and over.

@goldensrbest   As I see it, we are free to reply or not. Certainly if it gets frustrating, it's time for you to let it go and that's OK. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus wrote:

@Travone wrote:

I have not seen one post where someone was given unsolicited advice,  People give advice when asked, or when someone shares a personal story.  If posters don't want advice they should not ask for it or post about personal problems.  I think most who respond to such posts really do want to help.

@Travone   Really? I went through it yesterday. It was't my thread or her thread. She just felt the need to pick up on something I said and gave me unsolicited, and legally wrong, advice...none of her business from the start.

I read that thread and frankly I was not sure exactly what set you off on that poster.  You put some personal information out there about your two children, who apparently were in 2 different financial positions.  Perhaps your posts were not clear, perhaps the poster made some incorrect assumptions about the situation, however you put information out there that is up for interpretation.  The poster offered up a solution for an apparent unbalanced inheritance, Point being if you do not want a situation discussed, don't post it on a public message board.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Travone wrote:

I have not seen one post where someone was given unsolicited advice,  People give advice when asked, or when someone shares a personal story.  If posters don't want advice they should not ask for it or post about personal problems.  I think most who respond to such posts really do want to help.

@Travone   Really? I went through it yesterday. It was't my thread or her thread. She just felt the need to pick up on something I said and gave me unsolicited, and legally wrong, advice...none of her business from the start.

@Shanus  Was this the one where when the inaccuracy of her info was pointed out, her "apology" was yet another brag? That poster uses every opportunity she can to boast about her immense wealth. Tacky and tiresome. Unfortunately it was your day to be on the receiving end of it. 

Yes - the topic of the thread does not matter - you will hear about trust funds and inheritances - and also how "proper ladies behave" lol.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Travone wrote:

I read that thread and frankly I was not sure exactly what set you off on that poster.  You put some personal information out there about your two children, who apparently were in 2 different financial positions.  Perhaps your posts were not clear, perhaps the poster made some incorrect assumptions about the situation, however you put information out there that is up for interpretation.  The poster offered up a solution for an apparent unbalanced inheritance, Point being if you do not want a situation discussed, don't post it on a public message board.

@CrazyDaisy   Yes, let's clear this up for anyone who may still be interested and then put it to bed. Without having my posts in front of me to refer to, I mentioned that my son had my GDs to raise w/ the expenses that entails. He's also a licensed landscape architect with a graduate degree w/ a wonderful job and good income. I stated that somewhere, maybe in another thread. My daughter being left out of the will and given Mom's jewelry by me instead did not imply she was penniless and needed me to assist her financially. She has a 4 yr. graduate degree in dental hygiene from a prestigious university and has 20 yrs. experience. Her DH is a top executive w/ a "famous" company. I have mentioned that as well. The strangest thing is that in that post and others I've said my DH is a tax accountant in his own private practice for 50 yrs. Why the h... would I need gift tax advice (the wrong advice) from someone? Now, I'm finished w/ this subject and hope you all are as well.

Honored Contributor

I get all kinds of information from posters on this board.  It's better than living next to a library or doing tedious online searches.  

Esteemed Contributor

The thing I enjoy about this forum is reading and communicating with people scattered over the country and in some cases, internationally. You all make me laugh and I enjoy reading your perspectives. We share random, surface, everyday things. And mostly, we're compassionate individuals who ignore the meanies. 

If I care too much about things people say whom I've never met --- well, then I care too much. This forum works if we resist caring too much. DR WILLIAM URY - DIFFERENCES BECOME CONFLICT WHEN EMOTIONS GET INVOLVED. Conduct yourself on this forum as you would on your job or volunteer projects -- keep emotions out of it. Stick to reason and being civil. Getting feelings hurt on these forums is a waste of emotional energy.     

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Travone wrote:

@CrazyDaisy   Yes, let's clear this up for anyone who may still be interested and then put it to bed. Without having my posts in front of me to refer to, I mentioned that my son had my GDs to raise w/ the expenses that entails. He's also a licensed landscape architect with a graduate degree w/ a wonderful job and good income. I stated that somewhere, maybe in another thread. My daughter being left out of the will and given Mom's jewelry by me instead did not imply she was penniless and needed me to assist her financially. She has a 4 yr. graduate degree in dental hygiene from a prestigious university and has 20 yrs. experience. Her DH is a top executive w/ a "famous" company. I have mentioned that as well. The strangest thing is that in that post and others I've said my DH is a tax accountant in his own private practice for 50 yrs. Why the h... would I need gift tax advice (the wrong advice) from someone? Now, I'm finished w/ this subject and hope you all are as well.

Just saying you put information out there that is up for interpertetation and discussion within the content of the topic.  This is obviously a sensitive subject for you that should have never been posted if you did not want comments.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

Perhaps you should be posting don't ask for advice if you only want to hear what is agreeable to "you". Many varied opinions are given every day.  Could be a person has been in a particular situation the advice seeker is in.  There is no reason not to give advice if that is what helped out the one giving the advice, Even if it is something the advice seeker does not want to hear/read. You never know what will help out in a situation. Being adults, you take the good with the not so good. Consider all advice.

Trusted Contributor

I post a lot of stuff here, and am grateful for the feedback. I think because i don't have any family, (or ones interested) in giving advise. I don't want to involve my kids, and my few friends because i don't want them to know or be involved in my problems. I like the different opinions, good or bad, i am open all. Thank you all for showing me things i did not know or realize.

Super Contributor

Image result for see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil I can cut & paste