Respected Contributor

Re: Maybe The Troubled Brand On QVC Is WEN

thank you, I guess I just found the thread confusing.  

I have the backstory now.

Honored Contributor

You should always read at least  the first post in a thread to see what the thread is about!  And preferably too the rest of the thread before you post.

Honored Contributor

bri20 wrote:

It can be anything. 

I remember how much Bare Escentuals used to be on.  Now you barely see them. 

That's what they do - run a brand into the ground.  People get sick of seeing the same brands and the same presentations...

i think in some instances, for some people, it is actually "being over" the hype of a product line. that is the way it was for me and bare escentuals. at one time i thought it was a great line, now, not so much.....and i HATE when cosmetic lines discontinue my favorite products.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Pearly, you never disappoint.  

I did read the OP, and the whole thread.  I did not read the link, as it is a source I do not know.

Honored Contributor

IMO the "troubled brand" could be one of at least half a dozen pushed on us up the wazoo. People do get tired of seeing the same FEW product lines over and over and over and over and over and ........ Going to be more "troubled brands" in the coming year. They will disappear and their places be taken by yet more "brands" (if they even actially ARE brands and not QVC-specific "brands) viewers will tire of.

I cruised by HSN a few days ago and caught one of their promos/ads. The focus was "we have BRANDS! Shop HSN for your brand merchandise!" I thought it was good marketing. They are aware that probably 30-40% of what QVC sells they either own or have a financial stake in, and no desirable "brand" is part of that equation. The ad went on to mention the worldwide and nationwide brands HSN sells. It's a good selling point for those not impressed by QVC's "own" (D&C, Cook's Essentials, etc) or the "just for QVC" lesser quality goods made by a few of their vendors.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

Maybe it's Dyson or Sleep number......

@lucymo

Somewhere in the press release they said they were pleased with the bed and mattress sales....I was thinking the same thing about Dyson---they show it so much that perhaps FINALLY everyone who wanted/needed a vacuum got one....and sales slowed.....

Or perhaps it's GILI-- this clothing line hasnt been the same since the new vendor took over....and the clothes are pricey too...interesting they mentioned other clothing brands that did well-- Logo, Isaac Mizrahi, Susan Graver, D&C.........but not GILI....

Or maybe it is WEN........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i dont think it is GILI.......they mentioned that the brand in question is sold via other outlets also. WEN is sold  on an infomercial, online, in his salon, amazon......GILI is not.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MomCat wrote:

All of retail is suffering right now, so it's no surprise to see articles that try to determine what the problem is.  No one wants to think it's the economy, so they pick apart the merchandise.  Add to all this, the limited spending by the non-materialistic young people.

@MomCat

http://www.kiplinger.com/article/business/T019-C000-S010-retail-sales-consumer-spending-forecast.htm...

Consumers Rev Up Spending
By Lisa Elaine Babb, July 15, 2016

Feeling more confident about the economy, the job market and their own financial stability, shoppers dialed up spending in June. The third consecutive month of gains marks a strong end to the second quarter of 2016, though challenges remain as retailers grapple with changing industry trends—more online shopping, free shipping demands, etc.

Healthy consumer spending has retailers on solid footing going into the second half of the year and the all-important year-end holiday shopping season, barring any big political or economic shocks. Leading the charge: Online retailers. For 2017, we expect the steady pace of retail sales growth to continue, with total sales gains on a par with this year’s 4% clip.

Retail and food service sales surged 0.6% in June compared with the month before, and the industry overall posted a solid 2.7% rise in revenue compared with the same period in 2015. Nonstore retailers emerged the clear winners as more and more consumers turned online to shop. Online retailers, including online marketplaces such as Amazon and Etsy, plus retailers with e-commerce sites—Walmart, Target and others—posted a whopping 14.2% gain over the same month a year ago. Expect a spike in July’s numbers as well, thanks to Amazon’s second successful Prime Day and the countless other retailers vying for clicks with online discounts.

But online sellers weren’t the only retailers busy ringing up sales in June. Health and beauty supplies continue to be a bright spot for the industry, with receipts up 8.4% from last year. Moreover, a more robust housing market is boosting sales for sellers of building materials and garden supplies. Residential construction remains steady; we expect construction of single-family units to increase 14% from last year. New housing developments, along with eager home sellers prepping existing homes to go on the market, spell welcome news for home and garden suppliers.

June wasn’t rosy for all retailers. Electronics sellers struggled to post gains. Sales were flat compared with May, and revenues were down 4.7% versus June 2015. New products will help. Revenue from wearable technologies such as computer-enabled watches and rings, plus emerging technology such as smart home devices and drones, will help nudge up consumer electronics sales by 1.2% this year versus last year, according to the Consumer Technology Association. Heading into 2017, more shoppers will also shell out for ultra-high-definition televisions, virtual reality headsets and 3-D printers.

Meanwhile, department store woes continue as they struggle to draw people into their stores while also drawing more folks to shop electronically via improved mobile sites and apps.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I think part of the problem is that younger kids aren't interested in this stuff, and the rest of us are simply bought out.  Most of us talk about getting rid of "stuff" not buying MORE! 

Honored Contributor

I used to hate to miss watching q because they ran so many new and interesting brands and items.They have stopped all the fun and thrill for me by only selling the same brands over and over.I have most everything I want or need from these brands and I am sure others feel the same.I think they could be having trouble with lower sales in most of their products due to this lack of variety.