Honored Contributor

Re: Maybe The Troubled Brand On QVC Is WEN

I'd bet my last dollar it's WEN.  WEN has had a boat load of bad press and negative publicity in the past year. 

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@lucymo wrote:

Maybe it's Dyson or Sleep number......

@lucymo

Somewhere in the press release they said they were pleased with the bed and mattress sales....I was thinking the same thing about Dyson---they show it so much that perhaps FINALLY everyone who wanted/needed a vacuum got one....and sales slowed.....

Or perhaps it's GILI-- this clothing line hasnt been the same since the new vendor took over....and the clothes are pricey too...interesting they mentioned other clothing brands that did well-- Logo, Isaac Mizrahi, Susan Graver, D&C.........but not GILI....

Or maybe it is WEN........

@Spurt I didn't read the press release just guessing so thanks for the info about the mattresses. Smiley Happy  It might very well be GILI too.  It is no doubt a brand that they have invested heavily in and counted on a big return for their money.  They sure gave a lot of air time to Wen but I thought it sold well too.  Well, it is what it is, I guess.

Valued Contributor

I'm betting its Dell computers! Remember when Q had Dell running every single weekend, every hour from Friday night until Sunday night?  Competition with computers is really cut-throat now, and since so many schools are furnishing computers for kids, parents may be backing away from buying another computer for home use.  Everyone just wants their cell phone to do it all.  So yes, Girls, its Dell!  Definitely!

But I agree that the Q presentations are too repetitive. I can repeat word for word what I know some of the vendors are going to say because they never change one sentence, even from one month to the next!  

Honored Contributor

I'll bet it is more than one brand.  I think some of their home brands aren't doing too well.  THey have less attention on home brand cookware and have brought in All Clad and Le Creuset.

I have noticed a lot of closeouts and sales on Calphalon around here.  It may be in trouble.

Mally isn't there much any more.  And I'd bet the market for Denim and Co. is slowing down as we age and fewer of us are buying as many clothes like that.  THe younger set wear gym clothing.  

Super Contributor

GeorgeRe: Maybe The Troubled Brand On QVC Is WEN

Mike George from QVC said they saw a big decline in fashion in Q2. I'm   guessing  it's  Isaac's line and only guessing he normally has the highest sales dollars and a big fall off for his brand would really ding the bottom line.

See what Mr. George said at CFO dot com. Or Google QVC PARENT'S STOCK PLUNGES.

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@bri20 wrote:

It can be anything. 

I remember how much Bare Escentuals used to be on.  Now you barely see them. 

That's what they do - run a brand into the ground.  People get sick of seeing the same brands and the same presentations...

i think in some instances, for some people, it is actually "being over" the hype of a product line. that is the way it was for me and bare escentuals. at one time i thought it was a great line, now, not so much.....and i HATE when cosmetic lines discontinue my favorite products.

@sunshine45

ITA ......  you can only hear a vendor's presentations so many times beforeyou just tune out.

Remember when Bruce Makowsy had his handbags on every single week ....  and it seemed like he had a TSV every couple months!     It was just too much!

Respected Contributor

Re: GeorgeRe: Maybe The Troubled Brand On QVC Is WEN

@AnotherView2 wrote:

Mike George from QVC said they saw a big decline in fashion in Q2. I'm   guessing  it's  Isaac's line and only guessing he normally has the highest sales dollars and a big fall off for his brand would really ding the bottom line.

Maybe they need to re-examine their shipping policy. Tacking on a s/h fee for each item is not going to encourage consumers to purchase.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Honored Contributor

@AnotherView2 wrote:

@AnotherView2

according to the transcripts i have read, MIKE GEORGE said this regarding fashion.....

“We experienced strong growth in fashion, particularly in our proprietary brands such as LOGO, Isaac Mizrahi, Susan Graver and Denim & Company. Our household and garden categories also performed strongly with impressive results from home security and fitness.”

“In home decor, we saw strong performance from Northern Nights bedding and Select Comfort and Serta mattresses. These gains were partially offset by continued under performance in jewelry and consumer electronics and softening results in kitchen cook.”

“In jewelry, we were pleased with the launch of Stella & Dot and we began to build the My Saint My Hero brand with the very successful June TSV. And while sales results for the quarter were solid, our trajectory weakened late in the quarter.”

“And while harder to quantify, it appears that all of the distractions this summer from world events and the U.S. election season are also having some impact and we anticipate additional sales pressure from the Olympics starting today.”

“Finally, one of our largest brands faced a significant drop-off in sales at QVC and other outlets, which did materially impact our overall results. Now this particular issue is brand specific and not reflective of our overall consumer health.”

http://seekingalpha.com/article/3996597-liberty-interactives-qvca-ceo-greg-maffei-q2-2016-results-ea...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Super Contributor

Thank you @sunshine45

Respected Contributor

I was kinda hoping it would be GILI, that way we wouldn't see the Obi belt wrapped around everything, including the upcoming Christmas trees!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield