Honored Contributor

Re: Maybe I'm overreacting but who is checking out the rides kids go on now?

@Angel_Girl wrote:

I am from the same town of the little boy that died on the water slide. He was in the raft with his mother and aunt and they went airborne and his velcro seatbelt possibly came undone. He was decapitated. His mother and aunt also had facial laceration, broken jaw and not sure what else.

That ride needs to be torn down. 

By the time everything is said and done, the family will own this amusement park.  They can have it torn down.

Funny, a report I heard specifically said the boy was with two unrelated women.  I just hope his mom didn't see his body.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

That child should not have been on that water slide, he was too small. The blame is his parents. They are responsible for making the decisions that are in his best interest. A ten year old needs a helmet to ride his bike which doesn't reach 65 mph, not even close.

Why should other responsible people be derived of enjoying the thrill of this ride because of this child's irresponsible parents?

You apparently have been to the park and have completed a comprehensive investigation into the circumstances.  I assume you also have medical records showing the child's weight and height?

Sounds to me more like an equipment failure, the possibility of which should keep other kids from "enjoying the thrill of this ride".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Amusement parks aren't going to suddenly close tomorrow, because of one or two accidents that made the news.

You can NOT protect against every single possible bad thing that might happen.

If you want a risk free life, then don't get out of bed.

You could slip and fall and crack your head open when you take a shower. Does that mean that you are going to stop taking showers? No, of course not.

Does anybody remember that image of when Princess Diana rode the log ride with her two sons?

Yes, I know that the ride wasn't the worlds tallest, but if all rides are so "dangerous", then she was a bad parent gor having taken them on that ride.

Thing is, places like Disneyland have been around for decades, and millions of families have gone to their parks and have ridden their rides, and countless happy memories have been made.

Yes, what happened to that little boy was a tragedy, no doubt.

But just because of one beautiful, precious innocent life was lost, does NOT mean that suddenly all rides are baad and amusement parks need to close.

Because if you believe that all rides are dangerous, then might I suggest that you don't ride anything more exciting than a merry-go-round.

And use the seatbelt!!  Smiley Very HappySmiley Wink

I don't believe that all rides are so dangerous one shouldn't ride them.  But look at this thing where the accident happened.  If something goes wrong, comes loose, breaks down, yes, you really could die.   

Take that into consideration, and think about how things are made in today's world.  Are you going to ASSUME that this is well tested and to what degree of safety do you think it was checked and is maintained?  Didn't one woman say she rode it several times and the velcro wasn't working properly or the harness was loose or something like that?  And she got back on?

My feeling is that like a lot of things in today's world, rides are too big and too fast and too difficult to maintain and ensure safety, and therefore have pushed the limits of good sense too far.  I, for one, will not be hopping on.  Fine, call me a coward.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One only needs to look at that child, consider his age to know he shouldn't  have been on that slide. What could he weigh, even if he weighed 100 lbs, each of the two women in that raft would have had to weigh 150 lbs to meet the minimum weight of 400 lbs. 

Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

Now a basket has overturned with 3 kids in it on a ferris wheel, but they said it appears they're ok. I was shocked about the little 10 yr. old boy when I read about that today. Then there's been reports about the jumpy or bouncy houses floating off into the air with kids still in them. I think we need to hold off on kids rides until they are rechecked. I just find it alarming. Like I said, maybe it's just me!!?? How often are these things checked out and given a new lease to allow kids back on?

@qualitygal

I just posted this on another thread on this same topic.

The regulations for amusement and water parks are pretty dismal.    The likelihood of getting anything passed on a federal level is nil.   Unfortunately, they want to block everything.

HOWEVER ......  every one of us can contact our state representatives and voice our concerns.  My guess it will be easier to get laws passed on a state level ..... and "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Call and email your state representatives .....  today.

Let's start with the STATE LEVEL first.  That is what they are there for!  They answer to the Taxpayers in their state.

That's exactly what I suggested in my third paragraph.