Honored Contributor

Re: Maybe I'm overreacting but who is checking out the rides kids go on now?

I think there are legit amusement parks with really safe practices, then there are traveling fairs that get a little more risky (simply the set up and tear down constantly adds to the unstable nature of the ride), and then there are the things people rent and use with no idea about their history or use/care/maintenance (bouncy houses etc.)

If we wanted to take our son to 'ride' something, it was always at a big name permanent amusement park only. And yes, they have their failures, but when you consider the millions of riders per season, the risk is minimal.

There is risk in all we do, and that is just a part of life. I can't imagine people don't know the possibilities before they get on or put their kids on. 

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

Now a basket has overturned with 3 kids in it on a ferris wheel, but they said it appears they're ok. I was shocked about the little 10 yr. old boy when I read about that today. Then there's been reports about the jumpy or bouncy houses floating off into the air with kids still in them. I think we need to hold off on kids rides until they are rechecked. I just find it alarming. Like I said, maybe it's just me!!?? How often are these things checked out and given a new lease to allow kids back on?

From what I've read, in this particular instance, the girls were rocking the basket hard, collided with another basket, where it got stuck, upside down.

As to how often these rides are inspected, I'm sure it's not often enough!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3730696/Three-young-girls-fall-Ferris-wheel-Tennessee-fairgr...

I was wondering if the girls had done that.  What a consequence to have happen.  I hope they all make a full recovery.  

I'm with @Moonchilde.  In my opinion, it's past time for parents to make sure kids understand that manners on rides keeps them and everyone else safe. You treat the ride (someone else's property) and others around you with respect and follow the rules.  They are there for a reason.   And the operators need to be watchful and immediately stop the ride if someone decides to lose their privileges by acting inappropriately.

It all starts with us not someone else.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If there is a weight requirement it should be the responsibility of the ride personnel to make sure that requirement is met.

If harnesses are not working properly, the same personnel should make sure they are working before anyone gets on that ride.

I don't think that checking maintenance of rides should fall to the patrons of the ride.

Honored Contributor

I don't think we can assume that all (or most) of the accidents are being caused by unruly riders, can we?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio wrote:

I think there are legit amusement parks with really safe practices, then there are traveling fairs that get a little more risky (simply the set up and tear down constantly adds to the unstable nature of the ride), and then there are the things people rent and use with no idea about their history or use/care/maintenance (bouncy houses etc.)

If we wanted to take our son to 'ride' something, it was always at a big name permanent amusement park only. And yes, they have their failures, but when you consider the millions of riders per season, the risk is minimal.

There is risk in all we do, and that is just a part of life. I can't imagine people don't know the possibilities before they get on or put their kids on. 

ITA.  My parents had the same attitude.  I feel pretty safe at Cedar Point, although I haven't been in about 15 years because I'm not a ride person, but as for fairs?  No thank you.

When I was growing up, my parents never, ever allowed me to go on any rides at any of the pop-up fairs.  Back then, there also used to be carnivals that would come to our city and set up rides in store parking lots.  Again, I was never, ever allowed on any of those rides.  My parents always told me that if I wanted to go on rides, we'd go to Cedar Point where they felt things were safer.

Respected Contributor

The rides are inspected. The parks would not be allowed to function or open if they were not underwritten by multiple commercial insurance bundles. 

Engineer inspectors who are licensed with backgrounds in the mechanics of these rides as well as safety issues are inspecting. 

But they give their recommendations and then it is up to the Insurance provider to decide if they will take on the cost for a malfunction,accident either mechanical or man made as well as terrorism and so on. They will then let the client know their requirements for them to UW and so on. This is all done under Gov't regulations and Gov't inspections as well.

But with all that said, if a rider causes the problem they will pay still but will not take the hit.

Honored Contributor

I seem to recall that when I was a kid that there were "Ride At Your Own Risk" signs at the fairs.  But those travelling rides didn't look all that sturdy.

I never liked rides, though.  So my recollection is pretty hazy.  One rollercoaster ride was enough for me!

Esteemed Contributor

Amusement parks aren't going to suddenly close tomorrow, because of one or two accidents that made the news.

You can NOT protect against every single possible bad thing that might happen.

If you want a risk free life, then don't get out of bed.

You could slip and fall and crack your head open when you take a shower. Does that mean that you are going to stop taking showers? No, of course not.

Does anybody remember that image of when Princess Diana rode the log ride with her two sons?

Yes, I know that the ride wasn't the worlds tallest, but if all rides are so "dangerous", then she was a bad parent gor having taken them on that ride.

Thing is, places like Disneyland have been around for decades, and millions of families have gone to their parks and have ridden their rides, and countless happy memories have been made.

Yes, what happened to that little boy was a tragedy, no doubt.

But just because of one beautiful, precious innocent life was lost, does NOT mean that suddenly all rides are baad and amusement parks need to close.

Because if you believe that all rides are dangerous, then might I suggest that you don't ride anything more exciting than a merry-go-round.

*you, meaning the general sense, and no one specific.

Honored Contributor

There was an article in my paper that stated it's up to the state to handle the inspections but NOT all states are on equal footing. The recent accidents poured in states with the worst record and the least regulations in place.

Some claim they are checked every morning before a park opens. Some say they do so 3 times a day. Some didn't return phone calls. In the end, it's user- BEWARE.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

Amusement parks aren't going to suddenly close tomorrow, because of one or two accidents that made the news.

You can NOT protect against every single possible bad thing that might happen.

If you want a risk free life, then don't get out of bed.

You could slip and fall and crack your head open when you take a shower. Does that mean that you are going to stop taking showers? No, of course not.

Does anybody remember that image of when Princess Diana rode the log ride with her two sons?

Yes, I know that the ride wasn't the worlds tallest, but if all rides are so "dangerous", then she was a bad parent gor having taken them on that ride.

Thing is, places like Disneyland have been around for decades, and millions of families have gone to their parks and have ridden their rides, and countless happy memories have been made.

Yes, what happened to that little boy was a tragedy, no doubt.

But just because of one beautiful, precious innocent life was lost, does NOT mean that suddenly all rides are baad and amusement parks need to close.

Because if you believe that all rides are dangerous, then might I suggest that you don't ride anything more exciting than a merry-go-round.

And use the seatbelt!!  Smiley Very HappySmiley Wink