Honored Contributor

Maybe I'm overreacting but who is checking out the rides kids go on now?

[ Edited ]

Now a basket has overturned with 3 kids in it on a ferris wheel, but they said it appears they're ok. I was shocked about the little 10 yr. old boy when I read about that today. Then there's been reports about the jumpy or bouncy houses floating off into the air with kids still in them. I think we need to hold off on kids rides until they are rechecked. I just find it alarming. Like I said, maybe it's just me!!?? How often are these things checked out and given a new lease to allow kids back on?

Honored Contributor

Re: Maybe I'm overreacting but who is checking out the rides kids go on now?

I wouldn't trust that any of them are checked out when they are supposed to be.

The water slide where the little boy was killed was supposed to be checked for safety every day and apparently wasn't.

Honored Contributor

I don't know how you can make stuff like this safe.  I think until people have enough sense not to go on them, they will forever be a problem.  Govt. agencies can't afford the many more people it would take and most importantly HOW would you check them?  One of a kind, custom made you don't know where by whom. . . I don't know how you'd go about checking.

Also, they are computer driven, and me personally, I don't feel too safe with Mr. Computer keeping me from perishing in a 60-foot fall.  Remember the blue screen?  Haven't we all seen it? Especially operating outside in all sorts of weather conditions.

People and especially kids should stay off of stuff like this.  

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Now a basket has overturned with 3 kids in it on a ferris wheel, but they said it appears they're ok. I was shocked about the little 10 yr. old boy when I read about that today. Then there's been reports about the jumpy or bouncy houses floating off into the air with kids still in them. I think we need to hold off on kids rides until they are rechecked. I just find it alarming. Like I said, maybe it's just me!!?? How often are these things checked out and given a new lease to allow kids back on?

@qualitygal

I just posted this on another thread on this same topic.

The regulations for amusement and water parks are pretty dismal.    The likelihood of getting anything passed on a federal level is nil.   Unfortunately, they want to block everything.

HOWEVER ......  every one of us can contact our state representatives and voice our concerns.  My guess it will be easier to get laws passed on a state level ..... and "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Call and email your state representatives .....  today.

Honored Contributor

How difficult could it be to check that the harnesses are secure?

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

From what I've read, in this particular instance, the girls were rocking the basket hard, collided with another basket, where it got stuck, upside down.

As to how often these rides are inspected, I'm sure it's not often enough!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3730696/Three-young-girls-fall-Ferris-wheel-Tennessee-fairgr...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@qualitygal wrote:

@qualitygal

I just posted this on another thread on this same topic.

The regulations for amusement and water parks are pretty dismal.    The likelihood of getting anything passed on a federal level is nil.   Unfortunately, they want to block everything.

HOWEVER ......  every one of us can contact our state representatives and voice our concerns.  My guess it will be easier to get laws passed on a state level ..... and "the squeaky wheel gets the grease".

Call and email your state representatives .....  today.

Let's start with the STATE LEVEL first.  That is what they are there for!  They answer to the Taxpayers in their state.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I don't know how you can make stuff like this safe.  I think until people have enough sense not to go on them, they will forever be a problem.  Govt. agencies can't afford the many more people it would take and most importantly HOW would you check them?  One of a kind, custom made you don't know where by whom. . . I don't know how you'd go about checking.

Also, they are computer driven, and me personally, I don't feel too safe with Mr. Computer keeping me from perishing in a 60-foot fall.  Remember the blue screen?  Haven't we all seen it? Especially operating outside in all sorts of weather conditions.

People and especially kids should stay off of stuff like this.  

I agree. These rides at the big parks can be checked up the wazoo and accidents will still happen. The Disney parks have had serious accidents and deaths, and I can't imagine anyone being more careful than they would be.

I think it's up to parents, or adult riders themselves, to decide whether the risk should be taken. In some of the accidents or fatalities, it's determined that the victim contributed - standing up, leaning out, not using seat belt, etc. Can you trust your kid not to do that. Are you smart enough not to do that.

That said, it sounds like the waterpark slide was a disaster waiting to happen judging by its build history and trial runs alone. I'm betting the boy didn't weigh enough to keep him in the raft at the top, or something like that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Gosh... When I was a kid we went on all kinds of rinky dink rides at small carnivals set up by the shopping markets etc.  we never gave safety a thought. Guess my parents did not either.....and we survived!   Today I am sure there are all kinds of laws to follow for safety, but there is no garentee that the ride has been checked recently.  Personally I would never let my child ride   on any ride except maybe Dumbo at DisneyLand.  ( every child deserves that right of passage!)

One way way to look at it is, that for all the rides going on at any one minute In the world ....how many accidents happen?  Very few.  I guess life is full of risk....and you need to decide if a risk is worth taking.

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

How difficult could it be to check that the harnesses are secure?

I can't believe that the harnesses on this ride are velcro, when it reaches speeds of 65 MPH!

A year ago, a man on this ride had his velcro harness come undone and had to hold on using his hands.

Story & pics of him with no harness during ride:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3730799/Man-recalls-close-call-world-s-tallest-waterslide-bo...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.