Honored Contributor

Re: May Day! May Day! May Day!

We did do a little celebration all through the elementary years but the below was not us.  Just did a background study in class then danced around the Tether Ball pole on the playground.  The day stayed in my memory and I have always remembered May 1st.

Image result for may day dancing photos

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beckyb1012 Oh, thanks for the memory!  They used the tether ball post (haven't thought about that in a long time!) for our Maypole at our elementary school also.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@beckyb1012 Oh, thanks for the memory!  They used the tether ball post (haven't thought about that in a long time!) for our Maypole at our elementary school also.

@Pearlee Your welcome and anything they can do to stretch our tax dollars is a blessing.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012  Although I really wonder if any schools do this at all any more!

Esteemed Contributor

I've got things to do to move.

May Day - what I remember is the Communists coming out in full force to show off their weaponry in their squares.  Also, those who were a certain religion would acknowledge the mother of the christ on this day.  Two completely different ideas of May Day. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece wrote:

I've got things to do to move.

May Day - what I remember is the Communists coming out in full force to show off their weaponry in their squares.  Also, those who were a certain religion would acknowledge the mother of the christ on this day.  Two completely different ideas of May Day. 

Unfortunately, I remember learning about the Communist celebration of May 1st also, wasn't it labeled as "Loyalty Day"?

Esteemed Contributor

@deepwaterdotter Could have been. 

I remember Moscow parading around their ICBM's around Red Square letting the world know (mainly us) they were ready to take on any threat. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Respected Contributor

Loyalty Day was reconized as a special day in the UNITED STATES by the Congress in 1955.

Valued Contributor

One day when I was very young three little baskets of candy were left at our door  It was so exciting  My mother must have found out that this was a childhood tradition of our nighbors  growing up and she wanted to start it on our street  Well my mother outdid any basket for years and to this day I do the same to the lady that started it who is now 87  Fun  I still know exactly how my mother made hers  mesh ribbon and little cups

Trusted Contributor

When I was in grade school in the 70's we wove baskets out of heavy construction paper and were told to put flowers in them and leave them at someone's door. My son's school never did anything for May Day unfortunately.