Esteemed Contributor

Mattress shopping

[ Edited ]

Let me say at the outset I would rather have a root canal than shop for a mattress Cat LOL

However, both my husband and I are experiencing various aches and pains which we attribute to our mattress.  

For the last 20 years or so I've had a Select Comfort and all have gotten large indentations where we slept.  Very annoying since we are not large or heavy people. 

Anyway, we recently slept on a Stearns and Foster Estate mattress at my sister's house and my husband said he didn't have any back pain.

Of course, then HE starts looking and mentioned the "bed in a box" mattress and I'm thinking that is not what I want.

Truly, short of buying a new car, buying a new mattress is an anxiety producing task.  I found the mattress my sis had at Charles P. Rogers and it's not cheap, but....my thinking is I don't want to shop this thing to death.

Add to that we will have to get a king size mattress up to our second floor bedroom.  Just a big headache all around.

I'm tired of sleeping in a bowl on my Select Comfort, so it seems there is no choice.

Honored Contributor

We have the same "bowls"" in our mattress and as yet have worked up the courage to mattress shop.  I feel your pain.  I have decided that when we take the plunge I will only buy from a store that will deliver, remove old mattress and install new one.  I will shop til I find a store that will do all of the above.  We are of an age where we can not do it ourselves.  Some store will want our money bad enough to do this for us.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman : did you say that you and DH are both sleeping on a 20 y.o. mattress?!

I suspect anything you buy would be an improvement!

Read @Imaoldhippie 's reply.

I know a mattress is hard to buy and $$$, but how long do you expect it to last and support you both?!

Honored Contributor

Our last mattress came from Macys.  I'm still using it.  

They delivered it, put it and the box springs in place and took the old ones away.  

I am going to do many things in this life, but buy a bed in a box, a mattress from a shopping channel or Amazon or wherever and get it home and have to set it all up myself and then possibly hate it and have to go through all the hoopla to return is not on my list.  Not happening.

We must have looked at 20 or more different ones at Macys and a few other stores.  No way do I think I would pick the perfect one without testing it in person.  

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I love my bed in a box. I bought it at a furniture store and I took plenty of time to try it out beforehand.  They took the old one away and put the new one on. So no, you can get a bed in a box delivered and set up. I looked at Sleep Number and it's just a glorified air mattress and I could not justify the price ($7,000) for a Temperpedic. 

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva 

Let me clarify.  No, we are not sleeping on a 20 year old mattress.

However, for 20 years, I've had 4 separate Select Comfort mattresses that all developed large indentations where we slept.

I would never expect a mattress to last 20 years, or would I want to sleep on one after that amount of time.  As it is, I'm pushing it keeping one for over 5 years since I'm a bit of a germaphobe Cat LOL

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman 

Understand how you hate mattress shopping.  After " visiting " too many mattress stores, we found the store with the best deal on a Sterns & Foster fabulous mattress.

We had tried one particular type but the price was very high.  Then we stopped at a huge Raymour & Flanagan Outlet Warehouse...would need roller skates to "walk" through it !  There in one section neatly wrapped were a large variety of name brands, including the one we liked earlier...for approx. $700-800.   ( The " store " cost was several thousand dollars. )

Most of their king size mattresses were returns that couldn't fit up the stairs.

When we bought our vacation house, we went back to furnish the new bedrooms.

One drawback: since we needed to get it to the mountains, we picked it up ourselves.  I am sure for a fee you could have one delivered if necessary.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

My old mattress was embarrassingly old and we replaced it this summer.  After a lot of research it seems that the popular thing is the all foam (no more box spring) mattress.  I ended up getting a Nectar mattress.

It's 12" thick and very comfortable. To keep it nice, I added a mattress protector and a quilted mattress pad.  I sleep well on it. 

However I started having some strange health issues.  I would get light headed several times a week to the point that it felt like I might faint.  It wasn't quite vertigo but still was very unsettling.  I did research on what it could be and at first thought I might be dehydrated so I drank more water.  It didn't help.

After thinking what might have been different since this had been going on for a month, I realized that it probably was the mattress.  It seems that all new mattresses have tons of chemicals (like fire retardants) and some people might be sensitive. 

We encased the mattress in plastic then added the mattress protector and mattress cover.  It's been three weeks and my light headed feeling went away! 

The plastic doesn't make it hotter and it doesn't make any plastic sounds....however it does slide around easily which it didn't before.

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman Recently purchased 2 Stearns and Foster Estate Hurston XL twin mattresses to make a split king. Also got adjustable bases. 

I am very happy with the mattresses.   

~Jersey Girls don't pump gas~
Trusted Contributor

Hi @Witchy Woman 

Just having a had a root canal, I can really understand your level of disdain for mattress shopping. LOL

My last mattress-- I did, like everybody did before the bed in a box.  I went to the store and I tested them out.  Picked one and hoped for the best.  I will say, I did not love it at first, but I love it now.  It took some time because I listened to the salesperson and went with a memory foam over a coil spring.  So that was a big change.  

I prefer the go lay on it method over the internet buying, but a few people I know have done and like their choice.  So as another poster said, if you suspect your mattress will help ease your aches and pains-- just changing will be an improvement.  Go for a firm mattress

Since you liked the one you slept at your sister's, I would shop around for the best price with delivery and disposal of the old mattress services and call it a day.  

You are already in pain, why have a headache, too.  Good luck.