Honored Contributor

Math-challenged here but even I know that two feet is not six feet

Certainly there are places where it's difficult to maintain the six-foot rule. But here I'm finding that too many people are not even trying.

My state has mandated that we stay home as much as possible but recommend getting out in the fresh air while maintaining social distancing.

I live in Hermosa Beach and would always walk my dog along the ocean path. But the path is just too busy and too narrow for us now. Also, videos have surfaced of crowds still congregating on the beach after the mandates. So I've switched to our greenbelt that traverses this city. It's much wider and generally less populated.

The past three days, though, I have found that walkers have no clue. Singly or worse, groups walk down the middle. They let their kids run around close to others. I never say anything, of course, but I now need to stop, move way over, and let them go by. This tells me that people are in general not cognizant of the danger.

People are also still using the small exercise stations that are placed on this path. I haven't noticed anyone wiping them down or using sanitizer.

Just like size, distance matters!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Math-challenged here but even I know that two feet is not six feet

i'll say it once again........you can't fix stupid.....seems very appropriate during this crisis.....
Super Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Certainly there are places where it's difficult to maintain the six-foot rule. But here I'm finding that too many people are not even trying.

My state has mandated that we stay home as much as possible but recommend getting out in the fresh air while maintaining social distancing.

I live in Hermosa Beach and would always walk my dog along the ocean path. But the path is just too busy and too narrow for us now. Also, videos have surfaced of crowds still congregating on the beach after the mandates. So I've switched to our greenbelt that traverses this city. It's much wider and generally less populated.

The past three days, though, I have found that walkers have no clue. Singly or worse, groups walk down the middle. They let their kids run around close to others. I never say anything, of course, but I now need to stop, move way over, and let them go by. This tells me that people are in general not cognizant of the danger.

People are also still using the small exercise stations that are placed on this path. I haven't noticed anyone wiping them down or using sanitizer.

I so understand!!  just like in the grocery store, thought there was an unspoken "keep to the right rule".  Out walking today, numerous times had to walk into the road.  The funny thing I have noticed is...as am an avid outsider...have never seem so many people walking....and have never seen so many dogs, lol.  Have lived where I am a long time,  have been seeing people, dogs have never seen before.  

It seems like what you describe, people are not experiencing mindfulness.  Meaning not cognizant of what it is you described.  I have been sooo mindful and its exhausting, lol.  So aware of surroundings, keeping distance.  Like you, will be walking in smaller traffic areas moving forward.

Honored Contributor

I am in a 55 plus community with a wide sidewalk.  When I am walking the dog and encounter another person, we look at each other rather sheepishly, exchange a slight wave, but keep our distance.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3    That may change, and it should. Last week, on my walking route, we were passing by each other with about  2 foot distance. 

this past weekend, we were all going off the edge of the path to allow more space. 

Honored Contributor

I hope it changes. Sometimes I think, though, that some of my fellow residents in this quirky beach town believe themselves to be invincible. Hardy risk-takers.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

COVID-19 stats in California were 1,802 confirmed cases and 35 deaths as of today. Terrible people who behave as you described. Sounds even worse than it used to be. I lived in Calufornia, left there and never looked back.

Honored Contributor

You should see the line of people applying for jobs at one of our large grocery chains (Krogers). They showed it on the news and those people look like they were all on top of eachother.  They all showed up when it was announced (Krogers) was needing help with the spike in online and in-store orders. I just kept thinking...and those are the people who will be handling my orders (Instacart) soon.Smiley Indifferent

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been taking all possible measures to distance at least 6 feet while walking. Walking on private lawns if necessary. When I'm on sidewalks I draw the line at walking in the street if there are cars coming at me..other than that I am determined to distance properly.

Maybe some people think you can't catch it outside? I honestly think that's possible. These days anything is.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

COVID-19 stats in California were 1,802 confirmed cases and 35 deaths as of today. Terrible people who behave as you described. Sounds even worse than it used to be. I lived in Calufornia, left there and never looked back.

The stats are bad. that's for sure. @Silver Lining 

My reference regarding risk-takers, though, was soley about this beach town, kind of a party place.

I'm a born and bred Callifornia and will hopefully be able to stay here until mortality takes its toll. :-)