Honored Contributor

Re: Mass shooting in a yoga studio

@Equuleus wrote:

Who is preaching hate?  I'm not.

@Equuleus.  Not you. Just adding to your post.

Honored Contributor

A lot of people were raised now that they are never wrong, never responsible, always come in first, never have to abide by any rules, never suffer any consequences for their actions.  And so it goes. 

Esteemed Contributor

It is going to keep happening! There is no respect for human life anymore. It has become the way of life in this country. We are just bracing for the next shooting to come.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

We're all full of platitudes. If parents did this, if people were somehow not who they are, etc., etc.

And round and round we go. I see no end in sight.

You're right.

Lots of platitudes, over and over and over and over again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

We're all full of platitudes. If parents did this, if people were somehow not who they are, etc., etc.

And round and round we go. I see no end in sight.

You're right.

Lots of platitudes, over and over and over and over again.

@QueenDanceALot@suzyQ3 

Let me add my 2 cents here-people yammer about mental health.  Who will determine who is mentally ill and who will enforce therapy on them?

The recent tragdy at the Tree of Life Synagogue was fueled by his hatred of Israel and anybody who supports Israel, which includes the highest person in you all know where.  Yet that person was blamed. 

Foolishness designed to stir the pot which has already overflowed into a mess of misinformation and the inability for some to move on.  Do something construction instead of parroting what you THINK is what you should be doing.

This is the crux of the problem-it is very easy for people here and for talking heads to point fingers where the accusations do not belong.  We've had mass shootings that horrified us at Columbine.  Yet nobody dared put out an accusation.

When you have calls for murder-MURDER- of higher ups what do people think is going to happen?  The uninformed who believe everything they hear, see, read frighten me more than all this bad parenting excuses.

Gun control being used as a fear tactic.  We have gun control.  If it isn't up to some kind of standard, vote for those who would up the ante.  But it won't happen anytime soon if it hasn't happened for the past 20 years or so.

Whether a state has more "lax" standards or not doesn't guarantee a shooting will or will not happen. 

We have a generational problem with guns; it didn't happen overnight.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3Good post.  I think your last statement re: a generational problem with guns goes back to parenting, although I know you disagree with the idea that bad parenting is part of the problem.

Parents who ARE there tend to want to be friends with their kids, not parents to them.

Bad parenting, no parenting (because of absence)...where is the so-called village now?  Neighbors who watched out for local kids and were thanked for "stepping in" when a parent wasn't around, or the church (apparently no longer needed).  IMO it was replaced by Government.  Thank you, LBJ.

Keepin' it real.
Contributor

The Stand Your Ground state of Florida...again....

Honored Contributor

@Jazzygurl wrote:

The Stand Your Ground state of Florida...again....

@Jazzygurl   ???  What does that have to do with this story? 

The gunman wasn't defending himself; in fact he killed himself.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

Ts & Ps

Honored Contributor

People talk about bad parenting but some of these shooters aren’t exactly young - and invariably they are white males. Angry white males. Make of that what you will.

And I do point fingers - at certain very visible individuals who delight in creating devisiveness. The ugly underbelly of America has always been there but today it seems okay for many to publicly promote hate.