Respected Contributor

Re: Mass Shooting in Boulder

@dsw503   I am so sorry that your community is dealing with this horrific tragedy.

This sort of thing can happen ANYWHERE.  There is a mall not far from me that I visited often.  It is in a great area and I always felt safe there. 

Unfortunately, a few years ago, another gunman came in and killed 3 people there. 

No matter where you are, it can happen to you.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Esteemed Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

Another day, another mass killing in the US.

I thought after Sandy Hook we would attempt to work together to try to eliminate as many issues as possible to avoid more killings.  Sadly, that was not the case.

Of course there is mental illness in this country, just as there is in every other country in the world and, yet, the US always leads in mass shootings.

WHY?

And along with mental illness, we have a lot of sheer hate, seems like in this country. Its scary.

Any of us could be in an unfortunate place, the next time there is one of these shootings. In my opinion, these shootings are being carried out in more places that are the norm. I have never been in a night club, but I was in a Wal Mart just yesterday.

What are we suppose to do, if we are in a store and someone starts shooting? Do we run, do we hide, or just what are we suppose to do?

Honored Contributor

@dsw503 wrote:
I live in the north part of Boulder. Boulder is a beautiful community. Many people I know are sharing stories about close this tragedy feels to them--near the school where their kids go, routine shopping trips to the King Soopers grocery. It's another reminder about how fragile life is. Thank you to everyone on this board who expresses their remorse about this very sad event.

@dsw503   Thanks for sharing your feelings. I know it must be horrifying to be in or near that situation and in your area. Yes, to go through Covid, almost coming out to the other side, and still dealing with unexpected and uncontrolable death threats....Quite a world, right?

Honored Contributor

@happycat wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

I thought after Sandy Hook we would attempt to work together to try to eliminate as many issues as possible to avoid more killings.  Sadly, that was not the case.

Of course there is mental illness in this country, just as there is in every other country in the world and, yet, the US always leads in mass shootings.

WHY?

And along with mental illness, we have a lot of sheer hate, seems like in this country. Its scary.

Any of us could be in an unfortunate place, the next time there is one of these shootings. In my opinion, these shootings are being carried out in more places that are the norm. I have never been in a night club, but I was in a Wal Mart just yesterday.

What are we suppose to do, if we are in a store and someone starts shooting? Do we run, do we hide, or just what are we suppose to do?

@happycat   I asked a relative (FBI) that question last night. He said running makes you too obvious...a moving target. If possible, lie down flat, quiet and play dead...maybe you'll get passed over. 

Respected Contributor

No citizen needs an AK rifle.  Until these are made illegal for others besides police and military, these mass shootings will make headlines.  

Esteemed Contributor

For anyone interested, there is training video called "Run, Hide, Fight" and was produced by Houston PD that addresses this type of situation.

It's out on YT. Highly acclaimed by law enforcement. It's only a few minutes long.

If you watch, please pay special attention to when first responders arrive. They do not evacuate or treat wounded. Their first mission is to take out the gunman.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Chicago had 38 shot 4 fatalities including an 11 year old boy on the March 15 th weekend. No thread about that. Just mass shootings get the attention. Why is that IDK? 

Just for the record we are all upset and. Just trying to deal with this senseless sadness. 

There was a little 10 year old girl shot and killed at a PARK with her momma in Little Rock Arkansas that weekend also. A beautiful little girl, not the intended target. Its very questionable if the young men who shot her should have been out- at least one had already been in trouble for shooting, but not killing someone else. Absolutely senseless and just horrible.

I don't think this case made the national news either.

We are all upset, you are right about that. Our children are not even safe playing outside or at the park with their parents and we don't know we won't get shot at the grocery. What on earth has happened to us?

Respected Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@happycat wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

WHY?

@happycat   I asked a relative (FBI) that question last night. He said running makes you too obvious...a moving target. If possible, lie down flat, quiet and play dead...maybe you'll get passed over. 

I have thought about this also since my mall was hit.  As soon as the alert sounded, the shops closed their gates and customers were told to shelter in place.

If that is not possible and running is your best option, DO NOT run in a straight line.....zig zag so you are a tougher target.

Isn't it awful we have to think about these things??

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

Running is your first/best option.  Second is hide, third is fight back.

Esteemed Contributor

Connecticut made some positive changes after Sandy Hook.

I have no problem with someone going through a background check and purchasing a “suitable” weapon.  These assault weapons are weapons of war.  I have heard ex-soldiers say they are not civilian weapons.  All victims in Colorado were killed.  No one injured.  I guess these weapons are very efficient, as they must be on a battlefield.

I feel so much sorrow for innocent victims and their families.

And the brave officer, who prevented much loss, leaving seven children.  May God help us all.