Esteemed Contributor

Sweet daughter in law is an elementary school teacher at a small district. My school district interviewed the Superintendent and he said that they would have one disposable mask per child per day to give to any kids that needed them. My DDIL told me that her school district does not have masks for anyone. She bought a box of 50 childrens disposable masks prior to school opening.  

I'm just wondering, are your schools providing masks that you know of? Not trying to get anything started here, I am just curious. We have some very poor folks here and there are even more where my daughter in law teaches.

Honored Contributor

IMO if masks are required in any school, the school should be providing them for free.

Respected Contributor

I would think some charity groups would donate some cloth homemade ones to launder.Our church does a mitten and hat drive and many are homemade.  We as well as civic groups collect backpacks and school supplies for those that need them.If someone would ask around?

As a former Educator I know teachers spend far more than $200 a year for supplies.  Sorry your daughter had to purchase yet  another item.  I would tend to collect them wash them to make sure they were clean but that is me. Sometimes these kids don't get laundry done especially if low income. 

One parent chose on line learning because she did not want her child to have to wear a mask in school. So many opinions.

Esteemed Contributor

@Gorgf wrote:

I would think some charity groups would donate some cloth homemade ones to launder.Our church does a mitten and hat drive and many are homemade.  We as well as civic groups collect backpacks and school supplies for those that need them.If someone would ask around?

As a former Educator I know teachers spend far more than $200 a year for supplies.  Sorry your daughter had to purchase yet  another item.  I would tend to collect them wash them to make sure they were clean but that is me. Sometimes these kids don't get laundry done especially if low income. 

One parent chose on line learning because she did not want her child to have to wear a mask in school. So many opinions.

I just ordered her 2 boxes of disposable ones. It is a very rural area, I don't even know if there are any civic groups but that is a good idea, thank you. I will ask her. 

Esteemed Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

IMO if masks are required in any school, the school should be providing them for free.

I agree with you, but all of them aren't. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Masks and school kids

[ Edited ]

Given the seriousness of the situation, I can understand why schools might provide masks. Otherwise, for me, the extent to which some seem to think the schools should routinely provide everything any given kid might need free of charge has become somewhat disconcerting.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

@happycat    Similar situation for my daughter (2nd grade teacher). Her school will supply one mask per day per child, and anyone that knows children that age knows that has about as much chance of working as well......very little. 

They're going to take them off, they're going to pull on them and pop them.....they're going to get them dirty or wet or whatever.

I'm frankly angry that in our state where Covid is so out of control still that they are even going back in person to school. Not much care or concern being given to the teachers placing themselves in harm's way. Underpaid, overworked, and supplying children in need each year with clothing, coats, extra food......slipping snacks in their bookbags for the weekend. 

Tired of the how they get taken advantage of. There is no teacher's union here. And most of the teachers that teach are because they LOVE children. Telling my daughter to stop trying to supply these kids with basic necessities is pointless. Her heart is too large. I am proud of her for that. 

So we've been ordering size small masks where we can find them (disposable, some of the kids don't come to school with clean clothes, can't count on masks being washed). 

I'm stopping now. I have just upset myself again over something I cannot control. I will continue to pray for all the teachers' safety, and the safety of their students. 

And I will vote every single person out of office that had a hand in making decisons that risks the lives of others. So help me God. 

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

My teacher daughter has made masks for her students.   Her school plans to provide a mask to any student who doesn't have one, but she and her students will all have matching masks.   

Esteemed Contributor

Doing a school side drive to pay for disposable masks for all of asking businesses to donate towards this would be an option.  Saw a cute FB entry about how little so n so came home with a different mask than he went to school with because he traded and that person traded is funny but so true.  I sent each of my Grands home with a set of five reusable ( which they helped paste their name labels on,inside and out).  I worked with them for four months to know these are "special" and "only for school".  They don't need them yet as California is still online only(thank you Govenor N.).

Esteemed Contributor

I can't imagine sending my child to school without a mask in this situation. If I had kids in school, I'd be sending at least one extra in their backpack. 

I have learned since my daughter in law started teaching is a lot of times these extra's don't fall on the school district, they fall on the teachers. At least where she teaches anyway.