Honored Contributor

Masks and fogging eyeglasses

[ Edited ]

If your masks have a pocket to insert a filter, you can (as you may already know), insert a pipe cleaner at the top and then bend it around your nose to stop your warm breath escaping from the top and fogging your glasses.

I decided to try using a twist-tie since I have no pipe cleaners on hand.

A twist-tie works great! No more fogging. 

I suggest when you tear them apart, use two for increased strength and support, and don't forget to take it out before washing the mask. 

ETA: Some of you recommend placing the bottom rim of your glasses over the top of the mask. That has never worked for me. It leaves a lot of space open. I am glad that actually works for some of you. 

Twist tie - Wikipedia

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Masks and fogging eyeglasses

I've used a tissue folded lengthwise and placed over the nose bridge and that works.

Also I've just pulled the mask up so that bottom frame of my glasses sit on top of the mask where you use the bending device.

I've seen the pipe cleaner method and I would think that could work even if the masks have no inserts.  Tighter fit.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach

Thanks for the tip!  I have a haircut app this afternoon, and will need to mask up.  I just put two twist ties in the nose area of my mask...works great!!

Honored Contributor

Great tip @GingerPeach Heart

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I've used a tissue folded lengthwise and placed over the nose bridge and that works.

Also I've just pulled the mask up so that bottom frame of my glasses sit on top of the mask where you use the bending device.

I've seen the pipe cleaner method and I would think that could work even if the masks have no inserts.  Tighter fit.

This (bolded by me) is what I do and it works well, at least with themasks that have the thing you can push over your nose.

I recently got another type of mask that was recommended here and they don't even have the nose thing.   I need to stop reading recommendations here, I swear!  Smiley Sad    I tried one on to see if I could fit it fairly well under my glasses and it didn't feel too bad, but I haven't actually taken it for a ride yet.  Smiley Very Happy   If I go to the store this week I will try it and see if it's ok.  Also, these masks are rather large and loose around the sides.  I'm tired of buying masks that sukk.

Esteemed Contributor

I thank my lucky stars that for once I my life I got it right and did both cataracts a couple of months this came down.

Took over 70 years, but I won one!

Honored Contributor

Could straws work some way like a snorkle?

Honored Contributor

Bottom rim of your glasses over the mask prevents fogging.

Spit on glasses works too. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I made all of ours but without the nose piece---and I wear glasses and they fog up too. but was able to take them apart to add the nose pieces. it was pretty easy just a little time comsuming. Also have been tweaking the pattern I use to fit better too. Been using up the enormous amout of fabric as well. Haven't sewed this much in many years. 

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

This (bolded by me) is what I do and it works well, at least with themasks that have the thing you can push over your nose.

I recently got another type of mask that was recommended here and they don't even have the nose thing.   I need to stop reading recommendations here, I swear!  Smiley Sad    I tried one on to see if I could fit it fairly well under my glasses and it didn't feel too bad, but I haven't actually taken it for a ride yet.  Smiley Very Happy   If I go to the store this week I will try it and see if it's ok.  Also, these masks are rather large and loose around the sides.  I'm tired of buying masks that sukk.

That's what happened to me, recs for LA Apparel.  Six worthless masks.  Too small, no nose wire and look like they were taken from the pouch of tightie whities.