Honored Contributor

Re: Maryland closing school for 2 weeks.

17 confirmed cases now in maryland.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

South west Texas....spring break starts next week, so several school districts have extended the break for two/three more weeks!! 

Probably a good idea, but what will working parents do with the kids??   Many kids are before and after school kids... Imagine some day care facilities will extend their hours, but then you have groups of kids - potentially sick - together again!!  Though they say that the virus is not as severe in kids, kids still get sick and can infect parents and grandparents...

Honored Contributor

as of saturday morning.....26 confirmed cases in maryland.

no covid19 related deaths and no children have tested positive.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As of Monday the state of PA is closing all schools for two weeks.  DH doesn't think this is long enough but Gov. Wolf will reconsider at the end of the time period.

He also closed all non essential retail businesses starting tomorrow in four counties (including mine).  Only grocers, gas stations, pharmacies & health facilities will remain open for two weeks.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Dad is in a Rehab/Nursing home facility and they have been on lock-down since Tuesday.  No Visitors

You call for an update and they put you on hold and never return.  HOWEVER - they do call my Mother with an update every day, you just can't expect someone to answer any questions when you call in

Frequent Contributor

I'm in MD and my workplace cafeteria holds more than 250.  Our building holds thousands and the stream of interns will be arriving soon.  No change except please wash your hands, we are monitoring the situation. I expect it will be rampant soon at our facility but will they close?  I'm betting on no.  They only close when the Gov says they will arrest you if you are on the roads during an emergency.  If they close, they have to pay you.  If you don't work, they can't bill for your hours and they don't get money.  The executives might not make their $20M+ salary if they have to close and pay the workers.

Honored Contributor

as of sunday morning.......31 confirmed cases in maryland.

Valued Contributor

I really hope religious institutions take this seriously and abide by the no more than 250 rule.  

Respected Contributor

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Md. — The Montgomery County Department of Health announced that the county's first three positive covid-19 cases have fully recovered.

A married couple in their 70s and a woman in her 50s who had traveled on an MS A'Sara Egyptian cruise down the Nile River  that tested positive for the virus. 

The Governor's office announced that according to Montgomery County health officials, the first 3 Maryland Coronavirus cases have recovered and cleared self-quarantine, saying the development serves as a reminder that "the vast majority of people will recover from this infection, and this disease can be properly managed."

Honored Contributor

new executive orders for maryland

Prohibits Gatherings of More Than 50 People.

Restaurants and Bars were to close at 5pm and only be open for carry out or delivery business.

Directs Maryland Department of Health to Increase Hospital Capacity by Additional 6,000 Beds.

Activates Maryland Responds Medical Reserve Corps

Activates 1,000 Maryland National Guard Soldiers and Airmen

Prohibits Utility Companies From Shutting Off Service, Tenant Evictions During State of Emergency

Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) applied for a federal waiver and beginning today, has the capability to provide three meals a day, and a snack, to students impacted by the statewide closure of schools. MSDE has 138 meal distribution centers across the state.

https://governor.maryland.gov/2020/03/16/governor-hogan-orders-closure-of-bars-and-restaurants-annou...

https://governor.maryland.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Executive-Order-Amending-Large-Gatherings.p...