Honored Contributor

Re: Maryland Great Mills school shooting

I know this area well and have friends there. It's hard to believe something like this could happen there. I have to accept the fact it could happen anywhere. My prayers are with the families and the students. 

Respected Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

such sad news......it really brought tears to my eyes. may she rest in peace.

the boy who did the shooting.....how did he so easily obtain his fathers gun? was it not locked up? the family is also responsible......

The murder of the girl who dumped him seems to be premeditated.  Did no one notice his mental state?

As to obtaining the gun - how do kids obtain illegal drugs?  And do we really think drug dealers don't also deal in guns?  How do so many young gang members have illegal guns?

Not saying there was no parental responsibility.  Just saying that there was already a law prohibiting this shooter from having a gun.  What specific law would you now enact that would prevent this?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sadly, Jaelynn had died.  May she rest in peace and God keep her family and loved ones strong.

16-year-old girl shot at Md. high school dies after being taken off life support
This undated photo provided by the Willey family shows Jaelynn Willey. A teenager armed with a handgun shot and critically wounded Willey inside a Maryland school on Tuesday, March 20, 2018, and the shooter was killed when a school resource officer...

WASHINGTON — A 16-year-old girl has died after being shot in the head Tuesday at a high school in St. Mary’s County, Maryland.

A statement from the St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office on behalf of the Willey family announced that Jaelyn Rose Willey died at 11:34 p.m. Thursday surrounded by her family.

Her family announced they were taking her off life support a few hours before she died.

“She will not make it,” Jaelynn’s mother, Melissa Willey, said Thursday, her voice shaking. “We will be taking her off life support this evening. She is brain dead and has nothing — no life left in her.”

Jaelynn was shot Tuesday morning at Great Mills High School when another student, 17-year-old Austin Rollins, entered the school with a semi-automatic handgun and fired at her in the school hallway.

Rollins also shot a 14-year-old boy, but that student was discharged from the hospital Wednesday.

Jaelynn was the second oldest of nine children, and she was on the school’s swim team. Her mother said Thursday that the shooting “took everything” from the family.

The YouCaring page set up to help the Willey family with medical expenses has raised over $68,000 as of Thursday night.

“It is with terribly broken hearts that we learn of the tragic news regarding Jaelynn Willey,” Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan said in a tweet. He expressed compassion for the Willey family and the Great Mills community.

Rollins was killed Tuesday after the shooting, but law enforcement officials are still investigating how exactly he died, whether he was fatally shot by the school resource officer who quickly responded to the scene or if he shot himself with his own weapon.

The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office said Wednesday that Rollins had used a gun legally owned by his father and that the shooting was not a random act of violence. Rollins and Jaelynn Willey “had a prior relationship which recently ended,” the sheriff’s office said.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@sunshine45wrote:

the boy who did the shooting.....how did he so easily obtain his fathers gun? was it not locked up? the family is also responsible......

The murder of the girl who dumped him seems to be premeditated.  Did no one notice his mental state?

As to obtaining the gun - how do kids obtain illegal drugs?  And do we really think drug dealers don't also deal in guns?  How do so many young gang members have illegal guns?

Not saying there was no parental responsibility.  Just saying that there was already a law prohibiting this shooter from having a gun.  What specific law would you now enact that would prevent this?

@Isobel Archer

that gun should have been locked up and not so easily obtained in his own home. there is definitely parental irresponsibility involved.

the laws need to be changed......and tightened......AGAIN.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@sunshine45wrote:

@Isobel Archer

that gun should have been locked up and not so easily obtained in his own home. there is definitely parental irresponsibility involved.

I think the parents of minors who obtain their guns (legal or not) should be given life sentences in the event of a death.

Honored Contributor

@tansywrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

Good thing this time there was a good guy with a gun willing to act.

The officer wasn’t up against an AK-15.

Good point @tansy

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@sunshine45wrote:

@Isobel Archer

How, specifically, would changing the law have prevented this?  It was against the law for him to possess a gun.  Period.  Would you like to see a law requiring a  death sentence for anyone who illegally possesses a gun?  What?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

D49561DB-3F69-4CDF-AD82-C4C77903FDC5.jpeg

For Jaelynn Willey

Victim Great Mills MD HS

shooting victim

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer@Lucky Charm@sunshine45@golding76@beach-mom

I am of the opinion that the youth traveling to the Capitol and speaking out, makes a public outcry noticeable.

My outcry would be “LISTEN TO US!”

The detailed decisions as to what legislation will be passed is yet to be decided and that is ok for now.

The pressing issue is to save children’s lives.

As for walking out of school, there are going to be pros and cons up for discussion. imho

PS. If you want to offer your opinion,you might think about writing on Twitter. It is appearing to be a viable option at this point for me.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@sunshine45wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@sunshine45wrote:

@Isobel Archer

How, specifically, would changing the law have prevented this?  It was against the law for him to possess a gun.  Period.  Would you like to see a law requiring a  death sentence for anyone who illegally possesses a gun?  What?

@Isobel Archer

you dont think that this law needs to be changed? you dont think parents should be held responsible in some way for their children who get a hold of their guns? you dont think people who are irresponsible with their guns be held responsible when other people use/steal/obtain their gun and use it against others? a "misdemeanor" and/or a $1000 fine is enough?

disagree with me all you want......i want enforcement, i want change......i want people to feel safe when they step into a school, a church, a shopping mall, a concert, a movie theater.....

via the baltimore sun:

Maryland law prohibits a person from leaving a loaded firearm somewhere that the person knew or should have known that an unsupervised child under age 16 could gain access to it.

Violators face a misdemeanor charge and a fine of up to $1,000.

In the Great Mills shooting, however, Rollins was 17.

Maryland state law has a “gap” when it comes to older teens.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein