Honored Contributor

Re: Maryland Great Mills school shooting

36F65FD6-FE1F-43B5-AEC8-7EFCBADBFADA.jpeg

Emma Gonzalez,student

Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS, Parkland FL 2/17/2017

Take another look at her brilliant, touching speech.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

My Libby is afraid to go to school. And I do not blame her. I am thinking of home schooling for her. She is 16 my youngest. She loves her teachers and her friends she is a special needs child she has had open heart surgery the stress of going to school is not good for her. It is a hard choice for our family. Something has to be done with these guns because if not it will happen again. Do we really need semi automatic guns?????Woman Mad

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@LTT1wrote:

@Isobel Archer@Greeneyedlady21@sunshine45@fourpaws56@Lucky Charm

Just read the actual text from Emma Gonzalez’s speech from Parkland, Florida on 2/17/2018 after the school shooting at MSD HS.

This sentence got to me:

“we need to pay attention to the fact that this was not just a mental health issue. He would not have harmed that many students with a knife!”

This young lady is a gifted speaker and really brings the point home for me.

Oh, our precious, gifted youth. 

They are our future.

What is also at issue here, however - and what is being ignored by the emotional responses, is that the school - and the police - had a policy to ignore the behavior that led to the shooting - because they didn't want to increase their stats "punishing youth."

This is the same philosophy that stopped Stop and Frisk - criminals have "rights."  So innocent people in Detroit, Baltimore et. al. in gang infested neighborhoods have to live in fear - and significant danger - because the police are not allowed to confiscate the illegal guns therein.

Cruz himself cried out for help - he told a "counselor" that he was thinking of doing what he did - and of having "blood on his hands."  NOTHING was done to stop - or help him.

He might not have been able to harm as many people with a knife - but he certainly could have harmed a very significant number with a homemade bomb.  This WAS a mental health issue - and it should have been dealt with and this would have been prevented.

Respected Contributor

@LTT1wrote:

“cu=36F65FD6-FE1F-43B5-AEC8-7EFCBADBFADA.jpeg

Emma Gonzalez,student

And just how would anyone have known not to sell him a gun - since his mental health issues were never documented to put him on a no sell list?

Yes how about not blaming innocent people for the failure of the school and police to do their jobs?

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1wrote:

36F65FD6-FE1F-43B5-AEC8-7EFCBADBFADA.jpeg

Emma Gonzalez,student

AMEN...These children are  wonderful... so articulate I heard Emma and others and I am amazed. I am so very proud of them. And I am speechless to think what they have gone though and still come though with such strong bodies and minds. GOD BLESS THEM! 

Honored Contributor

@apple1964@Isobel Archer

I don’t know the answer.

My thoughts are with you on this...any and ALL points.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

One thing we dont address is.... teaching our children how to deal with relationships.... the MD shooting sounds familiar.... think about the domestic violence that is pervasive in our society.  

Nobody owns anybody else.  PERIOD!  

Respected Contributor

@game-onwrote:

One thing we dont address is.... teaching our children how to deal with relationships.... the MD shooting sounds familiar.... think about the domestic violence that is pervasive in our society.  

Nobody owns anybody else.  PERIOD!  

Excellent comment @game-on !

Valued Contributor

My daughter did not have to enter public school, @RainCityWoman.  I chose that for her.

I certainly appreciate your concerns on my behalf.  Perhaps you will be relieved to know that she traveled throughout western Europe with me prior to reentering public school, and our home base was in Oostende, Belgium, thus my nic.

She also graduated from college with honors and she is well and happy.  Her familiarity with art and her interest in architecture have given her joy and are directly attributable to her home schooling.  She is multilingual, of course.

I guess what your comment looks like to me, and I could be totally off the mark, is a self-serving comment by a teacher who is threatened by parents who require excellence and safety for their children.  But each case is unique, of course.

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1 wrote:

@apple1964@Isobel Archer

I don’t know the answer.

My thoughts are with you on this...any and ALL points.

I thank you very much. We are having a parent teachers meeting this week so we will see what the other mothers and teachers come up with.