Respected Contributor

Re: Maryland Great Mills school shooting

I have no problem with laws.  I am just tired of selective enforcement and agitated rhetoric about the need for more laws when laws already on the books are ignored.

Honored Contributor

@LTT1

i have used twitter and facebook quite a bit in regards to these horrors.

two more children are dead.....one of them totally innocent.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@sunshine45wrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@sunshine45wrote:

such sad news......it really brought tears to my eyes. may she rest in peace.

the boy who did the shooting.....how did he so easily obtain his fathers gun? was it not locked up? the family is also responsible......

The murder of the girl who dumped him seems to be premeditated.  Did no one notice his mental state?

As to obtaining the gun - how do kids obtain illegal drugs?  And do we really think drug dealers don't also deal in guns?  How do so many young gang members have illegal guns?

Not saying there was no parental responsibility.  Just saying that there was already a law prohibiting this shooter from having a gun.  What specific law would you now enact that would prevent this?

@Isobel Archer

that gun should have been locked up and not so easily obtained in his own home. there is definitely parental irresponsibility involved.

the laws need to be changed......and tightened......AGAIN.

How, specifically, would changing the law have prevented this?  It was against the law for him to possess a gun.  Period.  Would you like to see a law requiring a  death sentence for anyone who illegally possesses a gun?  What?

@Isobel Archer

you dont think that this law needs to be changed? you dont think parents should be held responsible in some way for their children who get a hold of their guns? you dont think people who are irresponsible with their guns be held responsible when other people use/steal/obtain their gun and use it against others? a "misdemeanor" and/or a $1000 fine is enough?

disagree with me all you want......i want enforcement, i want change......i want people to feel safe when they step into a school, a church, a shopping mall, a concert, a movie theater.....

via the baltimore sun:

Maryland law prohibits a person from leaving a loaded firearm somewhere that the person knew or should have known that an unsupervised child under age 16 could gain access to it.

Violators face a misdemeanor charge and a fine of up to $1,000.

In the Great Mills shooting, however, Rollins was 17.

Maryland state law has a “gap” when it comes to older teens.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/good-guy-gun-hails-another-stopping-maryland-school-shooter-n85...

According to this NBC article "it is not clear how he got his father's gun."

Do you have evidence for your idea that the "loaded gun" was left out for him to pick up?

It would seem he could have broken in to a locked cabinet - or stolen the key - or who knows.  Failing that, if he were determined, he could have found someone to sell him one illegally.

But  you want to pass a law that says that everyone must lock up their guns and if someone breaks into their home or whatever, then they are responsible for whatever occurs after that????

As I said, I am all for enforcing existi.ng laws.  Let's go after known felons who currently possess guns, and gang members and others who are illegally selling them.  If his parents gave him a gun, then yes, I say prosecute them also.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer

you have totally missed one of my points about maryland gun laws and his age in particular. i also never said that the loaded or unloaded gun was left out for the boy to just take. i also did not say that if a burgler breaks into your home and steals a gun that makes the gunowner necessarily responsible . a stolen gun should be reported the moment it occurs. evidently you are misconstruing my words.

yes, i do think that responsible gun owners should have their guns locked up and totally inaccessible to their children and family members in particular.

i stand by my thoughts, concerns, and reactions to the issues on this topic.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

@Isobel Archer

you have totally missed one of my points about maryland gun laws and his age in particular. i also never said that the loaded or unloaded gun was left out for the boy to just take. i also did not say that if a burgler breaks into your home and steals a gun that makes the gunowner necessarily responsible . a stolen gun should be reported the moment it occurs. evidently you are misconstruing my words.

yes, i do think that responsible gun owners should have their guns locked up and totally inaccessible to their children and family members in particular.

i stand by my thoughts, concerns, and reactions to the issues on this topic.

No I got your point.  You want MD - and probably all states to have a law that says that a 17 year old must be protected from having access to a gun in the house.  Now I don't know if that extends to 18 year olds and 19 year olds etc or not.  I have no idea what "family members" means in your context.

You did not address my point that you don't even know if this gus WAS locked up.  If it was and he broke into the cabined to access it - what is your solution then?  That no one who has children  - or "family members"  of whatever age  should be allowed to have a gun anywhere in the house at all?  Sounds like confiscation to me.

And again, where is the push to remove illegal guns from gang members and known felons - oh wait I forgot - they have "rights."

Respected Contributor

Image may contain: 2 people, meme, text and outdoor

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer

by "family members" i mean a wife/husband or a parent or a relative. someone who owns a gun should keep it safely and SECURELY away from those in the household who do not have permits. there are a number of ways to keep your guns safe and evidently this one was not safely stored if his son knew how to get to it. if he "broke into a cabinet" to get his fathers gun, then obviously it was not safely stored. if his father left the gun out on a table or in a drawer then obviously it was not safely stored. if his father handed him the gun for whatever reason it was not done legally.....so many scenarios to consider. we are still waiting to hear just HOW he got the gun.

i did not mention anything about confiscation of legal guns.

of course i am for everything it takes to get guns out of the hands of convicted criminals and gangs, but that was not really the main point of this particular thread.

enforce the laws ,change some of the laws and make them even tighter. i know that there are now proposals to pass "safe gun storage" laws.

Honored Contributor

Absolutely tragic. I'm going to be at my local march tomorrow.

"You call him The Edge, I just call him The"
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45wrote:

@Isobel Archer

by "family members" i mean a wife/husband or a parent or a relative. someone who owns a gun should keep it safely and SECURELY away from those in the household who do not have permits. there are a number of ways to keep your guns safe and evidently this one was not safely stored if his son knew how to get to it. if he "broke into a cabinet" to get his fathers gun, then obviously it was not safely stored. if his father left the gun out on a table or in a drawer then obviously it was not safely stored. if his father handed him the gun for whatever reason it was not done legally.....so many scenarios to consider. we are still waiting to hear just HOW he got the gun.

i did not mention anything about confiscation of legal guns.

of course i am for everything it takes to get guns out of the hands of convicted criminals and gangs, but that was not really the main point of this particular thread.

enforce the laws ,change some of the laws and make them even tighter. i know that there are now proposals to pass "safe gun storage" laws.

First of all, the 2nd amendment does not require people - such as adult family members -  to have "permits."  So are you now wanting a law that requires all adults to have permits?

Second, what - in your mind is "secure storage"  If as you state, a locked cabinet - broken into is not "safely stored" then what is?  When does it become the responsibility of the person who "broke into" a locked cabinet - as opposed to the person who has a locked cabinet?  Are you not saying then that a burglar would not be the person at fault for "breaking into such a cabinet?"

So what are your "number of ways" to "safely store" guns?

I am not trying to give you a hard time here.  I am pointing out that you - along with many others - simply have not thought this through.  I know you are saddened and upset over the shootings - as am I - but penalizing innocent people is not the answer to this problem.

And while you say you have no problem with confiscating guns from felons and gang members - most of the gun control crowd have significant problems with it.  They very loudly will tell you that this is an infringement on the rights of these folks.  Stop and Frisk? Absolutely NOT.  But require people - who have NEVER commited a crime - to have a permit - of course - why not?  

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer@Greeneyedlady21@sunshine45@fourpaws56@Lucky Charm

Just read the actual text from Emma Gonzalez’s speech from Parkland, Florida on 2/17/2018 after the school shooting at MSD HS.

This sentence got to me:

“we need to pay attention to the fact that this was not just a mental health issue. He would not have harmed that many students with a knife!”

This young lady is a gifted speaker and really brings the point home for me.

Oh, our precious, gifted youth. 

They are our future.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~