Honored Contributor

Re: Maryland Great Mills school shooting

Local news reported that the shooter's father is "a hard worker and works at Joint Base Andrews."

Neighbors say Austin was a good boy and the family is a nice one.  

Esteemed Contributor

@LTT1wrote:

@tansy@Cakers3@SusieQ_2@bonnielu@SahmIam

This is new to me:

Austin Wyatt Rollins, 17 

name of shooter 😢

I wonder where this kid got the gun. At age 17 he could not have purchased it legally. 

Did anyone hear that Zachary Cruz, brother to the shooter at the other school, is now in jail for trespassing on the school's property? Interesting story here:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-florida-school-shootin...

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2

i may delete this later...and I don’t think of my students as “bad kids.” But there were a few...and I just think to myself “heaven help us if these are let loose in society to unleash their wrath.”

It is SO IMPERATIVE that homes PARENT. And no matter what walk of life a child has to navigate, it becomes OBVIOUS the kids who have been parented. 

“Someone Cares”

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Respected Contributor

AmaLite Rifle design 15 has been around since September 30 1959.  Isn't odd that they have been around for 59 years and only have been a problem for a little while?   Is it the gun or is it the person using it?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Additional comments about Austin Rollins that I just now heard on the news:

"Austin was one of the good kids"   This neighbor left a cross of white flowers at the family home's front door.

"He did not seem to be that type," said yet another neighbor.

Looks like a broken heart might have caused this young man to make a bad decision.  

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2

Thank you for the link.

i watched as the judge and court set bail for Zachary Cruise and enumerated his offenses and their reasons for setting a very high bail price.

hmmm

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Valued Contributor

@Noel7wrote:

@Spurtwrote:

In the near future I see all kids attending school from their homes, being taught by a "virtual teacher" .......much like a work conference call meeting conducted from the internet....It will also be a sad day with more isolation .......

Image result for kids being taught by a virtual teacher from their home

There is a lot to lose that way.  It's important to learn not only working on your own, but working with a group.  Nowadays a lot of projects are done by a team.

Another benefit missed is not learning how to interact with other children, including those who look different or who may be disabled.

There would be so many drawbacks to a "virtual teacher."  It would be very difficult to assess the student.

I so agree. Children need the social interaction. 

Respected Contributor

@goldensrbestwrote:

God help our school age children,it seems laws are not going to happen.

You do realize that it was illegal for this shooter to have a gun under current law.  So please explain how more laws would have prevented this.

Respected Contributor

@tansywrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@tansywrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

Good thing this time there was a good guy with a gun willing to act.

The officer wasn’t up against an AK-15.

I see that the Broward county school resource officers will now be armed with AK-15's.

Are you kidding me?  What could possibly go wrong??

Well it seems that what could go wrong includes - in the Florida case, the police doing nothing despite significant cause to have this kid mentally evaluated, the school counselor recommending same, the kid himself confessing to that counselor that he dreamed of shooting up a school and having blood on his hands - and NOTHING being done by those in authority.  Then what else went wrong - several deputy sherrifs doing NOTHING to intervene in the actual shooting - just standing by and waiting for who knows what.

And in the current case, the shooter was prohibited by current law to possess a gun - but gee  - I guess he didn't care about the law.

But despite all this, the argument continues  that more laws against possession of guns  will solve everything.  

Honored Contributor

@staciesmomwrote:

@Noel7wrote:

@Spurtwrote:

In the near future I see all kids attending school from their homes, being taught by a "virtual teacher" .......much like a work conference call meeting conducted from the internet....It will also be a sad day with more isolation .......

Image result for kids being taught by a virtual teacher from their home

There is a lot to lose that way.  It's important to learn not only working on your own, but working with a group.  Nowadays a lot of projects are done by a team.

Another benefit missed is not learning how to interact with other children, including those who look different or who may be disabled.

There would be so many drawbacks to a "virtual teacher."  It would be very difficult to assess the student.

I so agree. Children need the social interaction. 

@staciesmom  @Noel7

I agree kids need social interaction and employers are already seeing the impact of less interaction between millenials in the work place who have more interaction with others on social media and less on person to person interaction.  But sadly I think it may get to the point where parents are going to have to make a hard choice because of saety issues.......... and thats gonnna be a shame....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”