Honored Contributor

Re: Maryland Great Mills school shooting

@SahmIamwrote:

@LTT1  I didn't want to say that (domestic shooting) because it's still a horrific event for the kids (these are kids) in the situation nor to downplay the violent act that it is.

I called a buddy of mine who lives there and he's first comment was "love triangle among the teens- what a stupid way to deal with hormones out of control". Domestic violence is a big deal among teens though people tend to not be aware of it and control is a HUGE issue when dealing with a break-up. For those who don't know, St. Marys County is an area that reminds me of where my Daddy grew up in the Deep South; the mannerisms, the accent, the farming, the hunting...everything. It's a beautiful part of MD.

My heart hurts for those kids as well as for their parents. So tragic.

@SahmIam

You have a connection to this area...that even makes it harder to bear.  I’m so very sorry.

The girl student who was being interviewed used the term “domestic violence” and that didn’t seem like the right term to me?

I still have so many questions, as I will bet everybody does.  Very sad.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

God help our school age children,it seems laws are not going to happen.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@LTT1  Depends. 

Let's say this was a couple in their 30's. THey break up. She starts to see someone else,  who is also in his 30's. The ex comes to their place of work and shoots his ex girlfriend and the new boyfriend. The guard at work then shoots the ex-boyfriend (shooter). Is that considered a domestic violence dispute? Many would say yes. The only difference is that these are kids but the outcome was the same.

Maybe she broke up with him because he beat her. If the student being interviewed knew this than her words are absolutely correct.

Of course, this is all speculation based on what the media is releasing. Time will tell.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@tansywrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

Good thing this time there was a good guy with a gun willing to act.

The officer wasn’t up against an AK-15.

I see that the Broward county school resource officers will now be armed with AK-15's.

Are you kidding me?  What could possibly go wrong??

Esteemed Contributor

Horrible situation.  Good thing there was an armed security guard.  And the area of Maryland not exactly on the radar for crime of any type.  Sad.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I had to look this up but it seems there is no such thing as an AK-15. There is an AK-47 and and AR-15. I guess in the course of this conversation it's probably a moot point.  I know nothing about either of them except the info I just read as I checked to see if deputies will indeed be armed with the AR-15, and it seems that's true. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about this. As I said, I'm no expert on rifles! 

Here's what I found troubling. Taken from the ABC website:

"The new policy was implemented Wednesday morning. In lieu of gun lockers, the only time deputies will not be "slinging a rifle" is when the firearm is locked in police vehicles."

The rifles will not be fully automatic and will only be handled by deputies who are "trained and qualified" to operate them, Israel said."

As I said, I'm no expert on any of this, but I find the idea of a powerful gun like this being locked in a vehicle kind of frightening. Maybe police vehicles are safer than regular vehicles so it's not a problem, but it sounds a little scary to me. On the other hand, it's nice to know they'll have immediate access to them in an emergency. 

Honored Contributor

@tansywrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@tansywrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

I see that the Broward county school resource officers will now be armed with AK-15's.

Are you kidding me?  What could possibly go wrong??

Oh no! Oh no!

I had hoped that the lunacy of planting guns in schools had been dropped! 

Just wait...the schools will be sued at the first thing that goes wrong. 

@tansy

yes, what could go wrong?? (borrowing your phrasing)

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@tansywrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

@Isobel Archer@tansy  AR-15, not AK.  There is a difference in how each one can be purchased, btw.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Oops!  Thanks, @Cakers3.  

Honored Contributor

@tansy@Cakers3@SusieQ_2@bonnielu@SahmIam

This is new to me:

Austin Wyatt Rollins, 17 

name of shooter 😢