Honored Contributor

Re: Maryland Great Mills school shooting

In the near future I see all kids attending school from their homes, being taught by a "virtual teacher" .......much like a work conference call meeting conducted from the internet....It will also be a sad day with more isolation .......

Image result for kids being taught by a virtual teacher from their home

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

It's the randomness of all the shootings that's scariest to me.  I don't feel we'll ever see the total elimination of targeted violence -  seems as if that's always been around.  But the general violence, whether in schools  or chirches or entertainment settings or airports or the streets -  I feel as if there's no where I can assume I'm safe.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

This area is 30 minutes south of where I live and is, what I would consider, a very rural area.

No details on the why, but, really, what can be said at this point.

Sad that it happens anywhere.

Respected Contributor

Good thing this time there was a good guy with a gun willing to act.

Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archerwrote:

The officer wasn’t up against an AK-15.

Honored Contributor

@Spurtwrote:

In the near future I see all kids attending school from their homes, being taught by a "virtual teacher" .......much like a work conference call meeting conducted from the internet....It will also be a sad day with more isolation .......

Image result for kids being taught by a virtual teacher from their home

There is a lot to lose that way.  It's important to learn not only working on your own, but working with a group.  Nowadays a lot of projects are done by a team.

Another benefit missed is not learning how to interact with other children, including those who look different or who may be disabled.

There would be so many drawbacks to a "virtual teacher."  It would be very difficult to assess the student.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

School Resource Officer is a Deptuy Sheriff, also a SWAT Team member, Blaine Gaskell, responded within seconds,  "may have saved other lives" quoted from Gov. Hogan.

Deputy Sheriff persued the student shooter, rounds exchanged. 3 students shot, 2 believed shot by student; 16 yr old critical, 14 yr old boy stable, shooter has died. Sad situation all around.

Thank goodness for the SRO!

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Respected Contributor

@tansywrote:

@Isobel Archerwrote:

The officer wasn’t up against an AK-15.

I see that the Broward county school resource officers will now be armed with AK-15's.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not so rural, it's nearby Patuxent Naval Base and towns, Historic St. Mary's City.  Very near Solomans Island and  St. Mary's River, gorgeous homes on the water, and situated minutes from one of the top smaller colleges in the USA.  I love the Chesapeake and Potomac meeting route 5 further down the penisula at Point Lookout.

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Esteemed Contributor

What a day.....School shooting....bomb exploded at FEDEX center and another unexploded one found.......we are under a Winter Storm warning..

I want to go back to bed