Honored Contributor

Maryland Great Mills school shooting

I guess everyone is aware of this by now, this morning.

It appears that this shooter was only after one girl, but a second one is injured too.

The FBI was on the scene, and the incident looked like it was handled very well, imo.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Maryland Great Mills school shooting

[ Edited ]

I wasn't aware of it. 

These things are happening so often.

I wonder if there is a spike in private school enrollement, or people doing homeshooling?
My kids are grown, thank God and we haven't been blessed with grandchildren yet.

It would be hard to send a child to school these days.

Edit to add, I'm not saying anything has or hasn't happened at a private school or they are immune to violence or anything else. I'm just not aware of school shootings that have.

I would be considering it, if I had a child in school at this point.

Honored Contributor

My granddaughters are no longer allowed in the room when the news is on the tv. At 6 and 9, they are frightened to go to school.

Honored Contributor

I was up before 6am. My heart sunk when I heard the news.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanuswrote:

My granddaughters are no longer allowed in the room when the news is on the tv. At 6 and 9, they are frightened to go to school.

I think thats a good idea @Shanus. And when I stop and think about that, its just heartbreaking, quite frankly.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yeah, male student shot a girl and another male student according to our local news. Armed security officer shot the shooter. All 3 in critical condition. School was on lock down but that has be lifted. Would not have known about it if for the fact it hit my phone the same time the county decided to do 3 hour early dismissal due to weather.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam@happycat@Noel7@Shanus

The shooter has died.

The girl has been sent to a gun-trauma center in critical condition.

This apparently is classified in a different way as “domestic” — or that is what one student told a reporter. 

Rather than a school shooter, it was one person out to shoot another.

I would need to have my children away from the tv for any news these days, too.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@LTT1  I didn't want to say that (domestic shooting) because it's still a horrific event for the kids (these are kids) in the situation nor to downplay the violent act that it is.

I called a buddy of mine who lives there and he's first comment was "love triangle among the teens- what a stupid way to deal with hormones out of control". Domestic violence is a big deal among teens though people tend to not be aware of it and control is a HUGE issue when dealing with a break-up. For those who don't know, St. Marys County is an area that reminds me of where my Daddy grew up in the Deep South; the mannerisms, the accent, the farming, the hunting...everything. It's a beautiful part of MD.

My heart hurts for those kids as well as for their parents. So tragic.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The shooter was persued and engaged by the Resource Officer, who is a Deputy Sheriff.  Rounds were exchanged.  The Deputy Sheriff was not shot.  They don't know how many other students would have been shot.

Due to the weather, the 3 students were unable to be flight medivac'd to trauma centers, they had to be driven, losing precious time.

The 16 yr old girl has been stablized, but critical, the 14yr boy is now stable.

My heart and prayers  go out to the victims and families, and the students, faculty of GMHS.

Heart

FURBABIES ARE THE BREATH OF LIFE
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is it too early to know how the boy got the gun?  

My sons used to worry about being *de-pantsed* at school, not being shot.