Honored Contributor

Walsingham would had paid somebody else to kill Mary of Guise if she had really died that way.   I bet she just died natural.

Man, with Henry the VIII and all his troubles with family. Queen Victoria and her 9 and all their marrying into different Royal houses we could talk forever

LOL

Only French I ever was interested enough on reading up on was Marie Antoinette and the French mistresses to the various Kings. French Revolution, etc.   Russian czars are very interesting, too. I got the big books on jewelry from Russia, England  and little on the French jewels.

Half the stuff circulating about Marie Antoinette was never true at all !

She went thru some horrible stuff before her head came off.

Contributor

I am enjoying this thread.  I love reading all books related!

Honored Contributor

There's a great book at Barnes & Noble called Kings & Queens written

very simply and is in the Bargain section. That is one of the best paper bound books written on the English. Big thick book if your interested in that subject written by Brenda Ralph Lewis.

I've read 100's of books on that whole lot, but, this one was one of the best.

I'll send a pic here in a second

Honored Contributor

hi.jpg

Valued Contributor

Re: Mary Queen of Scots

[ Edited ]

who is the authr?  I can't see.  I might already have that in my library and dont want to order a duplicte.

The,Tilbury Speech resonates today as well as back dring the Armada conflict. One cavaet: I got it from Wiki and I al always suspecious of them:

My loving people

We have been persuaded by some that are careful of our safety, to take heed how we commit our selves to armed multitudes, for fear of treachery; but I aamongst you, as you see, at this time, not for my recreation and ssure you I do not desire to live to distrust my faithful and loving people. Let tyrants fear. I have always so behaved myself that, under God, I have placed my chiefest strength and safeguard in the loyal hearts and good-will of my subjects; and therefore I am come disport, but being resolved, in the midst and heat of the battle, to live and die amongst you all; to lay down for my God, and for my kingdom, and my people, my honour and my blood, even in the dust.

I know I have the body of a weak, feeble woman; but I have the heart and stomach of a king, and of a king of England too, and think foul scorn that Parma or Spain, or any prince of Europe, should dare to invade the borders of my realm; to which rather than any dishonour shall grow by me,deserved rewards and crowns; and We do assure you on a word of a prince, they shall be duly paid. In the mean time, my lieutenant general shall be in my stead, than whom never prince commanded a more noble or worthy subject; not doubting but by your obedience to my general, by your concord in the camp, and your valour in the field, we shall shortly have a famous victory over these enemies of my God, of my kingdom, and of my people.

I myself will take up arms, I myself will be your general, judge, and rewarder of every one of your virtues in the field.

I know already, for your forwardness you have

After te Armada victory she was considereda goddess among many,many people.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you!  Finally!  A graphic that isn't some animal grinning in an uncomfortable way.  I am cheering.

Honored Contributor

@Margo Channing

Read message 43

Honored Contributor

seems like it was less then 10 on the bargain table as U walk into Barnes & noble. I looked it up on Amazon and it was higher there and because it's so thick shp was like 5.50.

Contributor

Thank you!