Honored Contributor

Re: Mary Kay Letourneau Has Died at 58

The articles I've read said that she died of stage 4 colon cancer at 58.

REMINDER!!! Don't skip those colonoscopies friends!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

No one here knows the results (the emotional toll or their state of mind) after their mother, a 32 year old married woman had relations with a 12 year old child who was her student that produced a child.  Time will tell.  Yes, it's sad that she died and there is sadness for both sets of children.  Hopefully, they will not repeat history by doing what their mother did thinking it was okay because she gave them life. 

Honored Contributor

Her father, John Schmitz, ran for President in the 70's as an independent.  

He taught a Political Science class took in college in California.  He was an awsome teacher.

Respected Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I just read that she passed away. I don't think she was still married to the young man.

I don't know if she and he were actually divorced but I did read that he filed for a legal separation in 2017. On the other hand I also read that he was always at her side in the last few months of her life.

Honored Contributor

Yes they were divorced not just separated

@software Your post upthread doesn't make any sense to me either.
Respected Contributor

YES.... but, she died of a horrible disease and left 2 children behind

Respected Contributor

It doesn't really matter what you think- Yes, she did unethical things and made really poor choices but, she suffered from a horrible disease and left 2 children behind! Have a little compassion for goodness sake!

Frequent Contributor

This entire story is so sad.  I believe the woman was "mentally ill" and then she raped a 13 year old boy.  The boy was forever damaged.  Her children from her marriage are forever damaged.  Everything was so very wrong with this story.  It is so sad - no good came from any of it.  Very sad indeed.

Valued Contributor

@Tinkerbell3 wrote:

It doesn't really matter what you think- Yes, she did unethical things and made really poor choices but, she suffered from a horrible disease and left 2 children behind! Have a little compassion for goodness sake!

@Tinkerbell3 she had more than 2 kids; 4 with her husband that she cheated on.  

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

The articles I've read said that she died of stage 4 colon cancer at 58.

REMINDER!!! Don't skip those colonoscopies friends!

My mom, 78 years old, refuses to get one.  The stupidity is beyond me.