Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mary Beth's 30 years and Boyds Bears

Gary had some serious health issues before he finally left the Q. I even wonder if he's okay now. I think that's why he left the company. He could no longer keep up the pace. 

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

@GenXmuseHave you seen Boyds Bears out in the Market Place? I bought my last probably about 12 years or so ago. Haven't noticed them anywhere. There was a hugh clearance in a store by, and I collected the Angels, and the Bees. But I needed to stop I got to collective.

I haven't seen them anywhere. I just get them off eBay second hand.  I haven't added to my collection in awhile but I have a lot of stuff for Christmas. 😊

Honored Contributor

@Bellini13 wrote:

Watching the Q the other day and everyone remenicing about her years I thought about the Boyds Bears Show.  We would watch and  laugh so hard with her and Gary Lowenthal. The 2 of them were better than a stand up commedy team.  Does anyone know what happened to Gary Lowenthal he was really a character?  I wish they would have shown some clips from those shows.

@Bellini13  

After waiting 16 years, I finally got to see Gary Lowenthal from Boyds Bears again!! What a sweet reunion! We had a lot of catching up to do, and he still loves to fish as well as teach at a university. He's a grandpa, too! We have a friendship that will last a lifetime, and I'm so grateful that we were at the same business dinner tonight. Friendships are a blessing! MB — with Mary Beth Roe.
Trusted Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@glb613 wrote:

@Bellini13 wrote:

Watching the Q the other day and everyone remenicing about her years I thought about the Boyds Bears Show.  We would watch and  laugh so hard with her and Gary Lowenthal. The 2 of them were better than a stand up commedy team.  Does anyone know what happened to Gary Lowenthal he was really a character?  I wish they would have shown some clips from those shows.

He sold the company. 

Apparently there were "issues" with some of Gary's language or actions that were offensive to some.  

I remember watching the show where Marie Osmond was in the studio and Gary said G***D  D****M.  she still looks good or somehting to that effect but used those curse words.  He was very apologetic the rest of the show for his comment.   It wasnt long after he disappeared from QVC.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Gary and enjoyed the many laughs watching The Head Bean during his QVC days.  I even bought a couple of bears and still have them.  Good to hear about Mary Beth's update letting us know he's doing well.  😊

I recall reading a couple of years ago that he donated $500,000 to a campaign in Pennsylvania.  He must have made quite a profit from the sale of his company to be able to make a contribution like that!

Respected Contributor

The last info on Gary I found is from 2015 where he made a hefty $500,000 campaign contribution to PA Supreme Court hopeful Judge Mike George...

http://www.tribdem.com/news/latest_news/high-court-hopeful-gets-g-boost-from-boyds-bears-founder/art...

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

@ncascade wrote:

I have tried "googling" Gary and get no info.

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but I think I recall someone saying he passed away.

And thank you, Mary Beth for remembering and mentioning Nolan Miller. He was wonderful, and is still missed.

@Perkup  Yes, Nolan Miller did die a few years ago.  He had lung cancer (he never smoked).  Yes, they did have a special bond.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you, Mary Beth, for keeping us informed about Gary. I really miss those shows.

Super Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Bellini13 wrote:

@Bellini13  

After waiting 16 years, I finally got to see Gary Lowenthal from Boyds Bears again!! What a sweet reunion! We had a lot of catching up to do, and he still loves to fish as well as teach at a university. He's a grandpa, too! We have a friendship that will last a lifetime, and I'm so grateful that we were at the same business dinner tonight. Friendships are a blessing! MB — with Mary Beth Roe.

@mousiegirlThanks for posting this!