Honored Contributor

Mary Beth on Valerie’s show “downsizing”

I'm guessing many of us are finding ourselves downsizing these days!

I certainly have...

what about you?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

Re: Mary Beth on Valerie’s show “downsizing”

[ Edited ]

Yep! I am working on that as we speak!

Last year I downsized Christmas stuff, when my friend with 5 kids had no decoration or money to buy them.

The kids were ecstatic! They finally were able to deck the house out with prelit garland, a prelit Christmas tree and endless Christmas knick-knacks.

I was happy to have the space back and happy to see them enjoy it!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes we bit the bullet 5 years ago now.  Moved from a 3000 square foot home on 10 acres to a 2000 square foot townhouse.  It took some adjusting, especially for DH who was not really on board at the time.  He has since realized it was the right thing to do.  He just turned 71 and has really slowed down as far as what he is able to accomplish in a day.  It was a good feeling to purge and start off on a new slate.  At times I miss that big old house but I do like where I am.  We are in an end unit at the end of a cul de sac and our back yard area borders a state park.  It's really lovely and no more shoveling for us!!

Respected Contributor

Yes, I've been downsizing little by little for years it seems. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not a minimalist by any stretch of the imagination, but I am fairly close to it. It is so freeing to me.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I'd love to downsize our home - we are on 2 levels.  So far no health issues but my husband is older than me by 14 years.  He says we cannot afford to downsize, and he is probably right.  Interest rates are ridiculous although we have no debt but homes in the area are nothing that we want.

He has always treated the yard for weeds and fertilized but next year we have hired a company to do that - baby steps I guess.  He still mows and trims and our business is still open.

If I am left on my own, I'll figure it out...but I do keep the house cleaned out, I love to declutter.

Respected Contributor

Yes, we are downsizing also. Started a few years ago. Began with the attic and will be working our way down to the cellar. A little at a time or it just gets tooooo overwhelming.
Respected Contributor

I moved several years ago and did a huge clean out. Donations and sent other items to an auction house. I love having no clutter. I don't buy holiday items or other items for the home. I kept what I needed.

Honored Contributor

We lived in an apartment when we raised our children and have always (out of necessity, limited space) been unable to accumulate a lot of possessions. Now having a house the past eighteen years, I can decorate with a few more items and have been thoroughly enjoying it. But we still have no clutter..old habits die hard. 

Trusted Contributor

I downsized when I went through a divorce two and a half years ago. At first, my ex said I could take all my home stuff. As the divorce went on he then said half. I waited until he went to bed each night and cherry-picked what I wanted. Now I have a huge storage unit and three walk-in storage spaces at my mom's house 🤣

I get easily distracted by pretty things🤣