Trusted Contributor

Re: Marvin Gaye Killed By Father 37 Yrs Ago Today

So sad.  Smiley Sad The father was certainly mentally ill.  The biography After the Dance by Jan Gaye was very interesting.

Honored Contributor

Loved his music, great voice.....such a tragedy how his life ended

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover wrote:

So sad.  Smiley Sad The father was certainly mentally ill. 

He wasn't

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

Easy to say this was unspeakable. If you've ever had to deal with a drug addicted adult child - for yeeeears - you might understand it better.

@FranandZoe  It's a good idea to think before posting your comments.  How do you know if I ever had to deal with a drug addicted child for years, or not? 

I did, and instead of killing my child I did everything humanly possible to find a rehab which resulted in going in and out numerous times and thousands of dollars of my money. 

It took a  long time and the end result was my child is alive and well and has been living a productive life ever since.  

Killing your child because it was a drug addict for years is murder to be punished by the law.  You are making it sound as though it is permissible, which it is not, by any stretch of the imagination.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee 

PBS did a show about Motown and they talked about Marvin Gaye....Marvin enjoyed working with Tammi Terrtell on the duets they did together and they became good friends, but it was not a romantic relationship.....(I Loved their version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough").....

Tammi had a tumoultous childhood and several adult abusive relationships, she battled brain cancer and had numerous surgeries, went blind and eventually passed at the age of 24.  They said Marvin was really impacted by her death, he went into depression and some say this resulted in his drug addiction.....  And Tammi's mother said that Marvin was the only one from Motown allowed at Tammi's funeral, because he was the only one that truly cared about her as a person....he delivered a Eulogy while their duet, "You are all I need to get by" played in the background.......And Marvin's album, "What's Going On" was a reaction to Tammi's death.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Marvin Gaye did indeed use drugs abd drink.  Most people in the industry did back then and today as well.  This had nothing to do with why his father killed him though.  Marvin was taking care of his mother and father and they both resided in a residence for which he was paying for.  His father was abusive and was alleged that he was a little weird and eccentric.  He wasn't mentally ill just because he killed his son either.  He was mean and jealous of his son.  He didn't like his son.  Never thought his son was his.  Former pastor who was mean and never loved his son.  Marvin Jr. got whipped so much as a child.

His father was also a closeted cross dresser.  Why would a man child stand by and watch is father beat on his own mother?  I'm sure this was a thing because he did it that one time then there were likely many more instances he beat on his wife prior to that.  If he beat his kids, imagine what he did to his wife.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Many of the events mentioned here are discussed in the book below. It is a hard book to read but worth it if you  consider yourself a fan of his/his music.

I will always remember the day Marvin died because they were announcing it on the radio and many thought it was an April Fool's Joke. I also happened to be pregnant with my only child who was born three months later.

Cover art

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Honored Contributor

If you have the time to listen to some of Marvin Gaye's music.

Distant Lover - Live Version

Star Spangled Banner

Live Medley in honor of Tammi Terrell

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.