Respected Contributor

Re: Marvin Gaye Killed By Father 37 Yrs Ago Today

One of my favorite R and B singers I have kept several of his albums yes albums Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

proxy-image-2.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I didn't even know what he looked like.  Thanks for the pic. @Mz iMac  A very handsome man.

Honored Contributor

Marvin Gaye, one of the greats of music, a voice unique and not replaceable.  What a tragic loss.  Marvin is a legend in the music world and left his mark, his music is timeless and still goes on for all of us who loved him and for those who will discover such a great singer.  He left a void in the music world.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I remember...so sad and senseless. Saw Marvin live in 1974 at Baltimore Civic Center.  From what I remember, it was great music💜...I was 18 and it may have been my first concert! 

Esteemed Contributor

Marvin Gaye was FINE!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wrote a final paper on this event in my Rock and Roll Music Appreciation class - years ago. Marvin Gaye, Jr was inspirational in his music and messages. Particularly disturbing was Jr trying to intervene in a fight between parents. Sr was an awful man. Pentecostal pastor who was cruel about the sins of others, but quite forgiving of his own behavior.  

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was living in California back then and saw Marvin Gaye's last live performance prior to his being killed.  A wonderful performance that sadly we will never have the privilege of ever seeing again.  It was a shock to all of us, and a man killed by his own father is an unspeakable act.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

It was a sad situation.  I remember.  It doesn't seem that long ago.  One of DH's favorite songs was, I Heard It Through The Grapevine.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Easy to say this was unspeakable. If you've ever had to deal with a drug addicted adult child - for yeeeears - you might understand it better.