Honored Contributor

Marvin Gaye Killed By Father 37 Yrs Ago Today

On April 1 1984 Motown singer Marvin Gaye was shot to death by his father when the two got into a fight, one day before Marvin's 45th birthday. Pursuant to a plea bargain, Marvin Senior pled guilty to voluntary manslaughter and received a suspended sentence and probation. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Marvin Gaye Killed By Father 37 Yrs Ago Today

Still such a great loss and so sad to lose such a talented performer. Alcoholism is a horrible disease.

Super Contributor

I remember Marvin Gaye with such love.  I wonder what he could have done for the world with his music.  So sad, so much potenial, such a waste.  He  was, for me, a beautiful man.  

Esteemed Contributor

Always  thought  that  he had such a   wonderful voice .  Recently watched a show abt Motown  that went into details of how he recorded  " What's Going On "  and of  his unique creativity .

Honored Contributor

My niece had a classmate in high school who was killed by his father. Very sad situation.

Esteemed Contributor

It sure doesn't seem like it's been that long - what a sad day that was. Marvin Gaye was such a talented musician. What a voice. R.I.P.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee   Oh so very sad - worked with him but cannot tell that story!!! But he was lovely.

Valued Contributor

Great musician, gone to soon
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've been listening to his Greatest Hits CD in my car lately.  Love the old songs with Tammie Terrell.  And Distant Lover.

He sang the National Anthem at a basketball game, I forget which one.  It is on you tube.  I love it.  He was just so smooth.........

Edited to add it was the 1983 NBA All Star Game.

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

It sure doesn't seem like it's been that long - what a sad day that was. Marvin Gaye was such a talented musician. What a voice. R.I.P.

@jannabelle1  When I read this today I didn't think it had been that long either.