Honored Contributor

DH and I will be staying at a friend home in Aquinnah, Martha's Vineyard in mid June, I am so excited.

I have never been to the Vineyard or to Nantucket, any tips or thoughts

Many thanks

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I love Martha’s Vineyard.  It’s really quaint and historic.  The island opens up and is alive  in June because the weather is getting warm and there are usually festivals in June that are fun.  You might also see a bride or two getting married on the beach.

There are some nice shops and great casual restaurants.

It’s not very touristy until July.  I would take an umbrella and a light jacket... it can get cold at night... and a good pair of walking shoes, a camera, and money!  It’s expensive.

You might not want to leave. I am jealous.  I am hoping to get my DH to want to visit there in September, at least for a day.

Respected Contributor

Lucky you!  I haven't been there for many years, but when I was younger we spent many summers on the cape.  We would take the ferry to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket.  Lovely place for a summer visit.  Cute shops, nice beaches, restaurants and the lighthouse.  It's more of a relaxing place.  We used to rent bikes and pedal around the island.  Martha's Vinyard is more touristy than Nantucket but both are great places to visit.  Enjoy you trip, I know you will.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

I am super excited about this the for last four years vacations have been difficult due to family obligations, my dad passed away on Christmas Eve, which makes life sad but easier. 

While he was alive it was difficult to get away for more than two nights, and the Vineyard is a bit of a trip from the NY area.

@Carmie wrote:

I love Martha’s Vineyard.  It’s really quaint and historic.  The island opens up and is alive  in June because the weather is getting warm and there are usually festivals in June that are fun.  You might also see a bride or two getting married on the beach.

There are some nice shops and great casual restaurants.

It’s not very touristy until July.  I would take an umbrella and a light jacket... it can get cold at night... and a good pair of walking shoes, a camera, and money!  It’s expensive.

You might not want to leave. I am jealous.  I am hoping to get my DH to want to visit there in September, at least for a day.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Quaint and lovely. We took the fast ferry the last time we went. We also took the bus tour. Quite informative. Your friends live there so they so they will know much more than a tourist knows. We may go again this summer. The sunset on the way home was beautiful.

Esteemed Contributor

Love Martha's Vineyard!  Spent a week there years ago staying at the Kelley House.  It was late May and we had great weather.  We loved biking along the beach, the restaurants.  Would love to go back someday.  Have never made it to Nantucket which from what I've read and been told has a different "vibe" than MV.  Hope to get there someday too!  Enjoy!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Martha's Vineyard

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox

You can check the Susan Branch blog (susanbranch.com).  She writes and paints and lives on Martha's Vineyard.

I haven't been to Martha's Vineyard, but have been to Nantucket.  We enjoyed Nantucket so much.  Take a little time for a bus tour and you may see some things you might not have known were there, like where they grow cranberries.  In late fall, they flood them and it makes for a gorgeous picture in front of a sea of red berries.  

Also, check out the hand-hooked rugs and other things from Claire Murray.  

Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

We were just talking about that over the holidays how much I want to go back. 

I love everything it's just so quaint and nice to just walk around visit the shops, the restaurants, I hope to do the bus tour next time.

Respected Contributor

do get over to Nantucket - the two islands are different experiences.  compare and contrast.

Honored Contributor

@Homegirl

Not sure why but I just saw this post, thank you and I will check out her blog. Years ago when I designed a small magazine dealing with rugs I met Clarie Murray at a trade show