Valued Contributor

Re: Martha Stewart’s empire is in talks to be sold

"Cheaters never prosper" according to the old adage, but some do in her case.

Honored Contributor

@mercyMe wrote:

"Cheaters never prosper" according to the old adage, but some do in her case.

She did her time for her lie. America is all about second chances, IMO.

Honored Contributor

I agree.  Martha did her time and did it with that winning smile - I always like her - enjoyed her shows and I give her major props for all she made out of her life - from her humble Polish beginings to modeling to her Wall Stree career to building an empire that most could never have even started to dream about.

Let's be honest - how many here would not have done the same thing with an insider tip?  Honestly answer that question.  Would YOU have lost $50,000+ because your honesty meter just jumps right off the top?  I doubt it.  While that $ was a drop in the bucket for Martha, the fact remains insider trading goes on all the time. 

Martha got caught, admitted her error, did her jail time, and left with that smile and a wave for all her fans.

Good for you Martha.  I may not like your products - that "green" is ugly imo - but I wish you all the best.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I was replying to terrier's post.  I still mess up on this new board.  lol

Honored Contributor

I think Martha crushed a lot of nuts so to speak to get where she is/was and was singled out for it as this stuff goes on all the time.

I am happy she is enjoying her life so fully now.

Honored Contributor

I agree.  A powerful succesful woman is still a no-no to many men and women.

I never bought her magazine as a subsciption - I would buy the holiday issues.  But I so enjoyed her small Food magazine - I had a subscription and had one for my DDIL.  I miss that little publication.

Still trying to quote - this is in response to mtc.  Gads - I hit "Quote" but it doesn't show up.  LOL

Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I agree.  A powerful succesful woman is still a no-no to many men and women.

I never bought her magazine as a subsciption - I would buy the holiday issues.  But I so enjoyed her small Food magazine - I had a subscription and had one for my DDIL.  I miss that little publication.

Still trying to quote - this is in response to mtc.  Gads - I hit "Quote" but it doesn't show up.  LOL

Thanks for this Cakers3, it's all gravy baby . . . this site can be like herding cats sometimes! . . . Smiley Happy

I know this is going to sound odd but my favorite memory of Martha's shows was when she showed how they closed down the gardens and yards for the winter.  She had the most gorgeous burlap wrapped around everything with the most perfect manual stitching to keep them closed for the season.  Since my yard is always such a mess I SO admired that (even though it was maybe a tad OCD)!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

In the early 1990s, a friend was a new nanny to two small children.

She bought a copy of Martha Stewart "Living" because she was taking a party to the beach with her two and some neighborhood children.  She wanted recipes and tips, and I guess the cover had included an article on children's parties at the beach.

But Martha lost her when much of the article was devoted to instructions on how to _make_ the beach umbrella.

MS should not have lied and (as several earlier posters have said), she paid for her lie.  She has a right to hold her head high, for she did the time and faced it all with courage.

I'm not a fan of her recipes, but her design sense has given me a lot of ideas.  I enjoyed her show, especially when her late mother (who was a lot like Martha, seemingly) was on with her.