Esteemed Contributor

Re: Martha Stewart's cat killed by dogs

Martha Stewart should have known that different breeds of dogs don't get along with cats. The situation is sad, but it shouldn't have happened. It doesn't do any good to place blame, but she has accountability in this. If she has other cats, I hope nothing happens to them. I'm looking at her in a different perspective after this. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@Spurt  I've seen Judge Judy read that newspaper article in her court more than once.  Good for her.  Very true words!  Dogs attacking another animal is one thing, but a child???  Can't even imagine!

@Patriot3 

Yep, back in February here in Texas (Baytown or Houston) there was a news story about a child killed by dogs....horrific!!! SO SAD!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zernia Rose wrote:

My perception is that Martha values animals, provides well for them, and has a great deal of knowledge about them.  She exudes a sense of calm and restraint.  I don't envision her discussing 'rainbow bridges" or getting a tattoo or jewelry with a pet's name.

Perhaps her upbringing and cultural heritage account for ways of interacting. She was one of few women gaining power in her area and I imagine she adopted a persona that would allow her to thrive.  She is open, pleasant, and low-key humorous on shows as she interacts with others.

I like Martha Stewart because of her knowledge, skills, and willingness to share her expertise and allow others to share theirs.  She is definitely not warm and fuzzy and I am okay with that.  She harkens back to a time when the food, cooking tecniques, tools, and so on were paramount  and personality wasn't the main focus of the cooking shows.  I subscribed to her magazines and love her cooking shows on PBS and I have learned so much..  

@Zernia Rose 

I think she has the type of personality that's afraid to show emotions and keeps her feelings inside and to herself..

There was a woman at work like that ......very stoic never laughed or smiled.....one time when we had a team building meeting she spoke up and said, "why does everyone hate me, why does everyone think I'm mean, I'm just an introvert, I'm actually a nice person...."  one of my friends reached out to her and I got to know her a bit and she is really a nice person....and let me tell you she IS a Martha Stewart, the cakes she decorated were out of this world!!! Sometimes it's difficult to judge people on the surface....

.I have seen occasions where she opens up with Alberti when she does her Christmas decor show from her home, you see a bit of joy and the Christmas spirit shine through.   ..... And she has a sense of humor, she did that funny commercial for Jack In The Box, and did shows with SnoopDog of all people and seemed to enjoy interacting with him....Its the old saying....cant judge a book by its cover....  I know when my mom died suddenly unexpected, I was in a state of shock at the funeral, I was so upset on the inside, but didnt cry, but when I got home I cried and cried and cried for weeks and months after...and still cry on occasion....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Martha Stewart should have known that different breeds of dogs don't get along with cats. The situation is sad, but it shouldn't have happened. It doesn't do any good to place blame, but she has accountability in this. If she has other cats, I hope nothing happens to them. I'm looking at her in a different perspective after this. 

I don't put blame on breeds of dogs.  The dynamics of a multiple dog/cat/etc households change over time.  Pets get older and start having health issues.  Young ones start to mature.  Sometimes there may be small skirmishes other times all out war erupts.  That is why they need to be monitored and managed.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I hope she wasn't trying to get a picture of the cat surrounded by the dogs for a magazine cover or something.   to me using the word interloper is an odd description  of what happened     another person would be investigated for animal cruelty    

in some ways I think this is worse than will smith slapping chris rock

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt Your example about the coworker is insightful.  Sometimes we are uncomfortable with quiet people or those that are introverts.  

I hope you have wonderful memories of your mother that bring you comfort and joy to balance the sadness that seems inevitable. i wear a pendants for my parents that bring me comfort; and, I wear them daily.

Honored Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

@Spurt Your example about the coworker is insightful.  Sometimes we are uncomfortable with quiet people or those that are introverts.  

I hope you have wonderful memories of your mother that bring you comfort and joy to balance the sadness that seems inevitable. i wear a pendants for my parents that bring me comfort; and, I wear them daily.

@Zernia Rose 

Those pendants are such a nice way to remember your parents and also bring comfort to you----HUGS

Its so difficult when we lose our loved ones ....  I have a couple of my mom's things that are precious to me and bring back special memories...nothing of value just sentimental but they mean a lot to me and bring comfort and some joy. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm sure that Martha has household staff to care for her pets.  Given her reputation, I also think she has separate areas on the property for pets.  I can't imagine her giving free reign to 4 dogs and however many cats in her primary residence.  I have one dog and my house has suffered for it.  One of the pets' caregivers probably made a mistake and the the poor kitty ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.  

I also think that cats can be just as "vicious" as dogs are.  Any animal can be "vicious" if it is scared or senses danger, just as people can.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

So Ironic.  I just walked out to take out the trash....and there was a man walking a Chow!  I almost burst out laughing.  Anyway some dogs (for no reason at all) will turn on their owners.  It's rare but it does happen, so another pet will sometimes not be the "trigger"  Anyway here is your Chow (in case you don't know what they look like)  They are sometimes used as guard dogs in other countries.

chow.jpg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Linmo wrote:

I'm sure that Martha has household staff to care for her pets.  Given her reputation, I also think she has separate areas on the property for pets.  I can't imagine her giving free reign to 4 dogs and however many cats in her primary residence.  I have one dog and my house has suffered for it.  One of the pets' caregivers probably made a mistake and the the poor kitty ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.  

I also think that cats can be just as "vicious" as dogs are.  Any animal can be "vicious" if it is scared or senses danger, just as people can.

@Linmo   A cat can't kill a dog, but a dog can kill a person.  I had a cat that was attacked by a neighbor's dog that got through our fence and my cat, as a child, went into shock, and died hours later of internal injuries at the vet's office.