Honored Contributor

Re: Married at the courthouse?

@betteb wrote:

Mima, maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but IMO, jeans are never appropriate at any type of court proceeding.

Go shopping, treat yourself to a nice pair of slacks, wear a nice top, some lipstick, a little jewelry. You will be glad you did.

You should see what some people wear now.  I've seen girls walking into the courthouse in bathing suit tops, daisy dukes and flip flops.  Not kidding.

Trusted Contributor

@Maltese Momma---------- I am sorry for this question(not really), but, I am laughing at your son,the Mayor marrying may people. Polygamist?  I knew what you meant, but I had to chortle at married and  not officiated.  Sorry again.Heart

I agree with most of you on neat and tidy, no jeans, tanks,etc. I may be ,not yet, over 90, however I do have a pretty clear cut idea of proper dress for courthouse,church, and funerals. There are ,of course, exceptions----------tedEbearSmiley LOL

Respected Contributor

I was my brother's witness at a court wedding, not in judge's chamber.  The "gallery" was filled with people awaiting legal proceedings.  His wedding was first thing in the schedule.  I wore nice pants and sweater.  groom & bride wore jeans.  Stopped for breakfast afterwards.

Respected Contributor

It's a wedding for heaven's sake; jeans most certanly are not appropriate.  I'd wear a nice top and dress pants and nice shoes. 

Honored Contributor

No jeans!!

Remember Carrie Bradshaw got married at the court house, she wore her $500 blue pumps and an off white suit.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ok!!!! I went shopping.  Got a really cute outfit (dress pants, dressy top & jacket to try to hide my fat).  Thanks all for your advice.

Respected Contributor

Don't know if it qualifies as a courthouse, but DH and I were married by a Justice of the Peace in a county office building!  I didn't even have a single flower.  We eloped!  I wore a very nice dress and he wore a suit.  At least we looked respectable!  I was 19 and he was 22.  That was Dec. 21, 1965 and we're still married!

Esteemed Contributor

@mima wrote:

Ok!!!! I went shopping.  Got a really cute outfit (dress pants, dressy top & jacket to try to hide my fat).  Thanks all for your advice.

***********************************************************************************

Good for you. I can feel your smiles in your words. Doesn't it feel good to do something for yourself?Woman Happy

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Esteemed Contributor

MIMA

We were married in a court room on February 14, 2002. Did not send out invitations and told only family members and close friends. Both my bride-to-be and myself wore jeans, topped by a  New York Rangers hockey jersey. 

We were/are not into who wore what to our wedding, only that they wanted to be there. It was a wonderful day that everyone seemed to enjoy.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I don't think jeans are ever appropriate at a wedding.  This is a major event for them and you should be respectful of that. 

I agree!!  Jeans are fine for shopping, a picnic, every day casual times.  Anything would be better for a wedding than jeans (unless requested by the couple).