Esteemed Contributor

Re: Married at the courthouse?

[ Edited ]

Mima, maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but IMO, jeans are never appropriate at any type of court proceeding.

Go shopping, treat yourself to a nice pair of slacks, wear a nice top, some lipstick, a little jewelry. You will be glad you did.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

What's the bride wearing? I have only been to 1 at the courthouse. A friend of mine got married for the 2nd time chose to get married at the courthouse. She wore a nice dress, he had on nice slacks, shirt so I wore a skirt, blouse.

Honored Contributor

@mima wrote:

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

We were married in the judge's chambers.  We both wore jeans and shirts/blouses, as did both of our witnesses.  There wasn't enough space for more than 8-10 people in the enclosed room.

Now I'm confused on what to wear.  LOL 

We had to go directly to our factory jobs after the ceremony, thus our reason for very casual dress.  Looks like most posters feel a more dressy appearance would be appropriate.

Honored Contributor

I was married at the courthouse in the early 70s.  The ceremony was held in the judge's chamber and held 15 or so people.  The bride may need to call the court to see how many people can be accommodated.

Respected Contributor

My nephew got married at a courthouse (a very beautiful one). We dressed as for a "regular" wedding. There were six of us present. 

Honored Contributor

I've been to just two courthouse weddings -- my own (!) and one other.  I didn't wear jeans to either - and I don't remember seeing any at either wedding.  I would not choose to wear jeans unless for some reason they had been specified --and I love my jeans.

Honored Contributor

I think something casual, business dress would be nice..  nice pair of pants/top and or a sweater..  OP, title immediately made me think of Carrie and Big getting married.. 

Much happiness and good luck to the happy couple!!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Honored Contributor

I would not wear jeans and a top unless you know the people getting married are likely dressing the same. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't think jeans are ever appropriate at a wedding.  This is a major event for them and you should be respectful of that. 

Honored Contributor

I would ask what kind of wedding they are having.  I'm down at the courthouse a lot for work so I've seen quite a few courthouse weddings. They are all very, very informal as far as weddings go.

None of the brides are ever in a wedding gown or any type of formal attire.  Most of them are in some type of dress that I would wear to work.  But I have seen some in jeans and even shorts.  It just all depends.

I'd personally wear a pair of nice pants and a nice top and possibly blazer.