Honored Contributor

Re: Married 32 years. In love with another man....

[ Edited ]

@kittymoxy wrote:
He has had 2 brief marriages. I would support myself with alimony until husband retires. We also have a very sizable retirement which I'd get half of. And to whoever called it HIS money- I don't think so!!!! I have never looked at it that way and neither does the state of ---!!! I raised 2 wonderful human beings who have never been in trouble with anybody, I have fed this family(and fed them well!) and I have made sure my husband and family goes to work and school with perfectly laundered clothes and everything else they need. I feel I have earned my keep!

No, no way have you earned your husband's money.  Your husband has earned it for the family.  There is no reason that you mentioned as to why you couldn't and didn't work.  You can't be independent and support yourself on your husband's money.  

You have to work to support yourself and be independent.

Many married women work outside of the home at full time jobs and they also feed their family, wash their family's clothing, etc. and they do it well too.

You are only morally entitled to hubby's earrings if you are married to him.  It might be legal, but your thinking is not ethical to think somehow you deserve money.

You sound very much like a women who used to be my friend.  She left her husband for a bartender.  Her husband had to support her, and she got half of everything.  The bartender quit his job and the X-husband is supporting them both now.

Your HS boyfriend sounds like a loser... Why do you think he is single?  He's looking for a sugar mama and I think he has found one.

Frequent Contributor

I assure you it's not made up!!!!
Honored Contributor

@kittymoxy  Do you buy products from QVC or even watch it?

Frequent Contributor

Again, I truly appreciate everyone's input. It has got me thinking. In fact, my head is SPINNING!!!
Esteemed Contributor

You may be in for a nasty surprise.  If you initiate the divorce for "irreconcilable differences" you will need to be the one who moves out.  Judges are not as inclined to automatically award alimony in these circumstances.  If you are capable of working you may be told to get a job. Be prepared that your children may stand on your husband's side and you may end up.totally alienated from them and other family members.

Frequent Contributor

Do I buy products from QVC or even watch it? Of course!!!! I tape every show David is in!!! And have for 20 years!!!! I also love Valerie Parr Hill, Quacker Factory and many others. I have had my pic taken with David. I probably know more about QVC than most of you!!!
Frequent Contributor

To Kathpet: I would want to be the one to move out. Also, I have been to an atty for a consultation and she said I would not be expected to get a job.
Super Contributor

So now you're saying that on top of running off with an old flame, you plan to destroy your husband not just emotionally but financially as well by taking half of everything he has worked his whole life for? 

It sounds like you've been planning this for quite some time. 

Honored Contributor

@kittymoxy wrote:
Dignity not to take alimony?!?!? Are you kidding?!?!? He couldn't have built that career without my help!!!

Tell your boyfriend you aren't taking alimony and see how that flies with him. . . might be very telling if you expect him to support you the way your husband has.

Frequent Contributor

Of course I would take half!!!! That's how it works. I won't be destroying him financially. He'll have a lot more $ than I will. He also will likely marry a professional woman I would guess. I would only hope the best for him.