Honored Contributor

Re: Mark David Chapman Denied Parole Again (John Lennon's Killer)

@Pearlee wrote:

According to the NY Post.  

Thank goodness. Unfortunately, he is next eligible for parole in 2020.

May John Lennon RIP.   Smiley Sad

"New York’s parole board has denied Mark David Chapman latest bid for freedom, declaring that the freeing the man who murdered Beatles great John Lennon would be “incompatible with the welfare and safety of society.”"

I recommend going to the NY Post site and taking a look at the Chapman photo it posted.  He still looks like a serious nutcase in that photo.

@Pearlee  Oh come on-he hardly looks like Charles Manson.  Take away the background mug shot and put his face on a story about saving kittens and nobdy would say he looks like a "nut case".

And that term "nut case" isn't funny; mental illness is a serious problem in this country.  For every MDC locked up there are still seriously mentally ill persons who need help so that a tragedy such as this can be prevented.

I agree he is where he should be but then again I'm not his psychiatrist. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3  I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.   You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

How long has MDC already been in jail for the JL murder? I just heard on the local news where a young man killed his neighbor, it was caught on film, so they had him dead to rights. This man is getting 2 to 5 years for a manslaughter conviction in a plea deal, doesn't seem like alot to me for someone's life. The lawyer's did not say why they didn't charge him with second degree murder. My guess is they didn't want to tie up the courts and incur alot of costs. Just shows you the life of someone rich and famous like JL is worth more than the neighbor down the street.

@blackhole99   How long? Lennon was killed in 1980, when he was 40 yrs. old.  And he'll always be dead.

So is everybody else that was murdered and some of their killers don't get as much justice, no matter what the circumstances.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dulwich wrote:

I hope he never gets out.

exactly. He should never be forgiven for murdering an innocent person... let him rot in jail.   Chapman needs to stay locked up and throw away the key.  I wish he had gotten the death penalty. 

Esteemed Contributor

So wil the neighbor in @blackhole99 ‘s post. 

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

Yoko would make a major fuss if he ever got released.  She threatens to release a new recording.

Trusted Contributor

@blackhole99

I agree with you.  What is the difference between a celeb getting killed as opposed to any other person??  It shouldn't matter.  Death penalty or life in prison.  Either one is justice - for anyone who gets killed.

Esteemed Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

Yoko would make a major fuss if he ever got released.  She threatens to release a new recording.

@Johnnyeager They kept Hinckley locked up until after Nancy died. I guess after Yoko dies this guy might get out too. Maybe.

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watch many true crime shows. The length of prison time for murderers varies greatly. Some get life with no parole, some life with parole, then some get 20 years with parole and are out in 7. Depends on many things. In some states if a murderer gets life then it's life, no parole allowed. 

Sometimes families of the murder victim agree to let the murderer accept a plea deal. Juries can be totally unpredictable and they don't want to take a chance of a not guilty verdict.

Honored Contributor

@Qshopper1991 wrote:

@blackhole99

I agree with you.  What is the difference between a celeb getting killed as opposed to any other person??  It shouldn't matter.  Death penalty or life in prison.  Either one is justice - for anyone who gets killed.

The point is, we don't know what the facts are in every case.  It could be self-defense.  It could be a fight that went "wrong".  It could be an accidental killing (hunting accident, a child with a gun, etc.).  It could be many things.  That's why we have a justice system; to look at the facts.

It's too simple to compare one high-profile case with another local case (facts unknown to us) and extrapolate to imply celebrities are more important than "ordinary people".

Not every case deserves life in prison or the death penalty.  I do agree with the idea that, if it's a premeditated murder, the "status" of the victim should have no bearing on the punishment.