Honored Contributor

Re: Mario Batalli Sexual Misconduct Claims

@Jordan2 wrote:

First I have to say every man or woman who feels they have been sexually harassed should speak up and be heard. That being said, it's getting to the point you'll be afraid to say hello or compliment someone for fear of being accused of harassing someone. I also think harassment is interpreted differently by each person. I have been called honey, sweetie, etc, and while I may not have liked it I never said anything.

I don't think the sexually harassed are talking about being called honey and sweetie. 

Honored Contributor

@Skididdy wrote:

What is wrong with everyone ??? Country is going to heck, and individuals clearly have zero moral fiber.  I just PRAY THAT WITH THE HIGHLIGHT ON ALL THESE BEHAVIORS OF MISCONDUCT THAT IT WILL CHANGE THINGS FROM THIS DAY FORWARD FOR MY TEEN AGE DAUGHTERS.  LETS HOPE.  THATS ALL WE SEEM TO HAVE THESE DAYS !

That's a nice dream but it will never happen as long we blame the men, banish them and think that doing so will somehow solve a systemic problem that also involves women.  It isn't just a problem with how SOME men treat and behave toward women, it's also a matter of how too many women under value themselves and are willing to accept abuse and mistreatment because it's easier for them to just accept it or because they feel they have something to gain by accepting the situation.  Highlighting all this garbage is just entertainment for the masses, at this point.  First, we have to separate the genuine assault or rape case from the "he tried to kiss me" and "he touched my rear" cases.  Those are NOT the same thing!   I'm still waiting to see some arrests of the men who truly assaulted women, which is a crime.  I'd like to see an end to the the media farce.  Right now any woman can just claim that any many did anything to her at any time in her life and if that man is newsworthy....everyone believes it.  People fall all over themselves believing it.   No proof needed.  It's ridiculous.   Nothing will change until or I should say unless, our society gets serious about changing how men and women relate to each other.  You have teenage daughter, I have daughters in their early 30's.  I think our daughters have to learn to take care of themselves and I don't mean self defense classes.  Right now, if you dare say something like that, people call it "blaming the vicitim" when actually, it's "empowering women".   

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@Jordan2 wrote:

First I have to say every man or woman who feels they have been sexually harassed should speak up and be heard. That being said, it's getting to the point you'll be afraid to say hello or compliment someone for fear of being accused of harassing someone. I also think harassment is interpreted differently by each person. I have been called honey, sweetie, etc, and while I may not have liked it I never said anything.

I don't think the sexually harassed are talking about being called honey and sweetie. 

Exactly @proudlyfromNJ.  No one is talking about being called those things, nor about accidentially brushing someone's arm when walking by (though that keeps getting mentioned a lot here too).

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Skididdy wrote:

What is wrong with everyone ??? Country is going to heck, and individuals clearly have zero moral fiber.  I just PRAY THAT WITH THE HIGHLIGHT ON ALL THESE BEHAVIORS OF MISCONDUCT THAT IT WILL CHANGE THINGS FROM THIS DAY FORWARD FOR MY TEEN AGE DAUGHTERS.  LETS HOPE.  THATS ALL WE SEEM TO HAVE THESE DAYS !

That's a nice dream but it will never happen as long we blame the men, banish them and think that doing so will somehow solve a systemic problem that also involves women.  It isn't just a problem with how SOME men treat and behave toward women, it's also a matter of how too many women under value themselves and are willing to accept abuse and mistreatment because it's easier for them to just accept it or because they feel they have something to gain by accepting the situation.  Highlighting all this garbage is just entertainment for the masses, at this point.  First, we have to separate the genuine assault or rape case from the "he tried to kiss me" and "he touched my rear" cases.  Those are NOT the same thing!   I'm still waiting to see some arrests of the men who truly assaulted women, which is a crime.  I'd like to see an end to the the media farce.  Right now any woman can just claim that any many did anything to her at any time in her life and if that man is newsworthy....everyone believes it.  People fall all over themselves believing it.   No proof needed.  It's ridiculous.   Nothing will change until or I should say unless, our society gets serious about changing how men and women relate to each other.  You have teenage daughter, I have daughters in their early 30's.  I think our daughters have to learn to take care of themselves and I don't mean self defense classes.  Right now, if you dare say something like that, people call it "blaming the vicitim" when actually, it's "empowering women".   

@chrystaltree  You put in words exactly what I keep thinking.  THANK YOU!  So in this day of casual hook ups even in junior high school, how do you define what is harassment?  Where do you draw the line?  WHO draws the line?  And what if a line isn't drawn until four years after the indent?

All of your sons, grandsons, nephews are in danger of being accused.  So how do you deal with that?  What about all the things teens now take for granted?    How does that factor in?  What you see in movies?  On tv?

It seems like some want to go at warp speed back to the 1950s where nobody would utter the f word around a woman (no matter that she probably uses it too), and just what do we do about that?

I worry that now men will be uncomfortable about a "lady" and not want to be around them in the workplace. Go to a few movies now, then tell me how people "should" act.  I simply don't get this disconnect here unless we are talking about harassment in far more restrictive terms than a lot of HR interpretations now.  I don't know how you define it.   We live in a world where babies are born routinely out of wedlock, people expect to "interact" after a few dates. . . so where does that leave people?  I don't get it.  I'm sorry, I just don't get it. 

I more get it if we are going to redefine the world and go forward, but in context of today's society, you are painting with a pretty broad brush to go back and convict these guys in a court of public media when it has been ALLOWED by pretty much all for DECADES.  Centuries actually.  I'm not talking about attacks against someone's will, I'm talking about general behavior, girlfriends, flirting, etc.

Just observations, and I have no answers.  

Honored Contributor

indoor kitty wrote:

I've wondered why he's been missing from the Chew.

I also watch The Chew and have been wondering why he's not been there much lately.    It hasn't bothered me too much, as he always rather creeped me out, but I guess now we know.

I was glad when Daphne Oz left because she annoyed me to the nth degree and, even though I was never a fan of Batali, I was glad it was she who left the show.

I wonder if they will replace him.    I don't mind having three hosts, but it seems like everything has to have 4 or 5 hosts and sometimes it's just too much.

Valued Contributor

I was never impressed with MB. He always gave me the willies. I have never met him but he always struck me as someone who would snub everyone. There are many male chefs (and female chefs) that I love but I wouldn't walk across the street to see MB it it was free.

cookin

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I also watch The Chew and have been wondering why he's not been there much lately.    It hasn't bothered me too much, as he always rather creeped me out, but I guess now we know.

I was glad when Daphne Oz left because she annoyed me to the nth degree and, even though I was never a fan of Batali, I was glad it was she who left the show.

I wonder if they will replace him.    I don't mind having three hosts, but it seems like everything has to have 4 or 5 hosts and sometimes it's just too much.

Actually, I never warmed up to any of the people on this show and it always seems sort of forced to me.  Not a big fan of the Kitchen either.  I don't know where they get these people. . . well, the people thrown in with a few famous chefs/restaurant owners. 

Honored Contributor

Sooner wrote:

chickenbutt wrote:

indoor kitty wrote:

Actually, I never warmed up to any of the people on this show and it always seems sort of forced to me.  Not a big fan of the Kitchen either.  I don't know where they get these people. . . well, the people thrown in with a few famous chefs/restaurant owners. 

I rather like 'The Kitchen' but on that show it's Sunny Anderson I absolutely cannot stomach.   I never could stand her and even quit the show once because of her.  But I started watching again and just FF through segments with her predominate.    She is shrill, overbearing, and a pig. She reminds me of that plant in 'Little Shop of Horrors' - FEED ME!!  ugh

Honored Contributor

A thought just popped into my mind:  There are many tweens/teens who are s. active now-a-days.  Can they one day, years later, be able to view their experiences (with teens their age at the time) as misconduct, etc.?   Just a thought/question.  Not insinuating/inciting anything controversial.  Just a thought.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

A thought just popped into my mind:  There are many tweens/teens who are s. active now-a-days.  Can they one day, years later, be able to view their experiences (with teens their age at the time) as misconduct, etc.?   Just a thought/question.  Not insinuating/inciting anything controversial.  Just a thought.

@ROMARY  That's what puzzles me about all this.  How do these kids look at the world?  What happens next?  Do we go back to the 1950s or do we just not interact male to female?  

I'm not talking about pervs, abusers, predators, etc.  I'm talking about the rest of  us--the average Joes and Janes.  And whose moral compass do we navigate by?  I can't figure it out!