Regular Contributor

Re: Mariah Woods' mother's live-in boyfriend is arrested...

@Shawnie wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

Unfortunately, women in tough economic circumstances are desperate to have someone else help with the responsibilities- whether it be another paycheck or a baby sitter or even someone who has a car.  Not surprised by this at all. It's hard to be poor and out of options and this is the result.

Lack of maternal instincts cuts across income strata. 

What did Mariah's mother do to demonstrate she lacks maternal instincts?

Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

I will never understand how any mother (parent) can put their precious babies in danger by leaving them in the care of a live-in boyfriend they hardly know. This is in the news constantly and it bleeds my heart. Child and animal abuse I can't handle. 

-Sorry for the downer thread but these 'parents' infuriate me. 😪

@LoveMyBaby

???  Okay, I give up ....  are we all supposed to know who Mariah Woods is?

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

Is there a biological father in the picture?  Where is he?  Certainly, if she is unable to provide a safe environment for her child, she should look at other options.  Maybe someone in her family or the child's father is capable of raising this child.  Certainly, there must be other options available if her "mother" is unwilling or unable to safely care for her child.  

Struggling financially is not an excuse for putting your child in harm's way.  There are many programs designed to help single mothers.  It's all about priorities.

@CAcableGirl2

According to reports, mom had custody of the kids and dad was supposedly trying to get custody.  Either way, the adults in this scenario failed this kid.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

@LoveMyBaby No surprise there. Too many stories like this and it turns my stomach every time. Save the state some money and turn the SOB over to me.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

@Maudlynn wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Maudlynn wrote:

Unfortunately, women in tough economic circumstances are desperate to have someone else help with the responsibilities- whether it be another paycheck or a baby sitter or even someone who has a car.  Not surprised by this at all. It's hard to be poor and out of options and this is the result.

Oh, that's cute.  They aren't dragging those guy into their beds to help out with the cable bill.  

No, it's not cute. It's a sad commentary on what people in desperate circumstances will do. It has nothing to do with sex and everything to do with daily survival.

ITA

Respected Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

Is there a biological father in the picture?  Where is he?  Certainly, if she is unable to provide a safe environment for her child, she should look at other options.  Maybe someone in her family or the child's father is capable of raising this child.  Certainly, there must be other options available if her "mother" is unwilling or unable to safely care for her child.  

Struggling financially is not an excuse for putting your child in harm's way.  There are many programs designed to help single mothers.  It's all about priorities.

She has 3 kids with the biological father. He hasn’t seen his kids in a year. I’m betting he hasn’t paid a dime in child support either. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Being REAL here....is anyone surprised?

"Live-in Boyfriend".....my first thought was "He killed her". If I had a dollar for every time the live-in boyfriend was guilty of a crime against a child in the house....I would be SO FREAKING RICH. And yes, I also place responsibility on her mother. Last, I believe there's more to the story about this family...time will tell.

That poor little girl.

@SahmIam

I am reading through the responses and you hit the nail on head. I suspected the Boyfriend from the beginning. I am not surprised at all. I am not sure about the mother yet.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44

It's been in the news for the last few days. A little girl "Missing" from her bedroom and taken in the middle of the night. Etc. Etc. These are always  sad stories and a majority of the time they do not have a happy ending. I suspected the boyfriend from the get go.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Money DOES give you choices; absolutely and Maudlynn points out some excellent facts. But the belief that only live-in boyfriends of the poor do this is laughable. I've seen it at ALL income levels, ALL education levels and by live-in GIRLFRIENDS as well.

I know many single mothers who will NOT allow ANY man to move in with her while her children are living under the same roof. These women range from living in the inner city of Baltimore living hand to mouth to women living in the big McMansion and pulling in 6 figures plus. You can have a man help you but he doesn't need to LIVE with you. Nope, he does not. It does make having sex more convenient, I'll give ya that, however.

In THIS situation, Grandma also lives in the house....mom did not bring children to the biological father and was in a court situation with him for failure to do so. So yes, I do look at her being responsible as well in THIS specific situation.

Regular Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Money DOES give you choices; absolutely and Maudlynn points out some excellent facts. But the belief that only live-in boyfriends of the poor do this is laughable. I've seen it at ALL income levels, ALL education levels and by live-in GIRLFRIENDS as well.

I know many single mothers who will NOT allow ANY man to move in with her while her children are living under the same roof. These women range from living in the inner city of Baltimore living hand to mouth to women living in the big McMansion and pulling in 6 figures plus. You can have a man help you but he doesn't need to LIVE with you. Nope, he does not. It does make having sex more convenient, I'll give ya that, however.

In THIS situation, Grandma also lives in the house....mom did not bring children to the biological father and was in a court situation with him for failure to do so. So yes, I do look at her being responsible as well in THIS specific situation.

Thank you @SahmIam. Just want to clarify that I did not say that only live-in boyfriends of the poor do this. I simply pointed out that poor people have less choices and therefore are subject to making risker decisions. While there are some people who never vary from their convictions, poverty often creates desperation and desperation leads people to do many things they normally wouldn't.

Folks might want to watch the Frontline series Poor Kids to see what happens to families in dire situations. Especially now, while we move to take from the least among us and give to those who have the most.