Honored Contributor

Re: Mardi Gras and COVID

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Mardi Gras is more than just a bunch of New Orleans festivities with parades and beads.

Mardi Gras is actually a religious component that is a prelude for Lent, which leads to Easter.  The day will still be recognized and honored.

There is no reason one should not order a special meal and help out the restaurants.

So far I have ordered special celebration meals for Cinco de Mayo, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's, all from different local restaurants here in Philly.

My DH would be extremely happy if I could get a NO Mardi Gras dinner shipped up here!

Restaurants need the business and the food is always wonderful!

@FancyPhillyshopper  There is "no reason" not to order a meal and support a restaurant? I'll give you one: COVID. Sorry you didn't think of it.  Please allow people to make their own decisions and not foist your choices on others.Your comfort level may not be someone else's.

Trusted Contributor

@Pearlee  - I thought your first post was clear enough that you don't live in New Orleans. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Pearlee  - I thought your first post was clear enough that you don't live in New Orleans. 

@Mimi 1883  Thank you! I did too.

Honored Contributor

I should think the celebrations in New Orleans will be cancelled this year.  Unless politicos want to swing more business to their friends in the healthcare and death industries. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I should think the celebrations in New Orleans will be cancelled this year.  Unless politicos want to swing more business to their friends in the healthcare and death industries. 

@ValuSkr-the Mardi Gras festivities have been cancelled in the City of New Orleans.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Mimi 1883 

The lack of clarity wasn't whether she lives in New Orleans. That part was clear.  The part that I found vague was about the restaurants sending her Mardi Gras menus. It sounded as if these were New Orleans restaurants, since it made her question whether Mardi Gras was going on as usual in New Orleans.  Why would the fact that restaurants in your home town are offering Mardi Gras menus make you think that Mardi Gras was still being held in NOLA? Maybe I was the only one who didn't understand, and I'm sorry if that was the case.  Over and out.😉

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Mimi 1883 

The lack of clarity wasn't whether she lives in New Orleans. That part was clear.  The part that I found vague was about the restaurants sending her Mardi Gras menus. It sounded as if these were New Orleans restaurants, since it made her question whether Mardi Gras was going on as usual in New Orleans.  Why would the fact that restaurants in your home town are offering Mardi Gras menus make you think that Mardi Gras was still being held in NOLA? Maybe I was the only one who didn't understand, and I'm sorry if that was the case.  Over and out.😉

@shoesnbags. You read too much into my OP. I didn't think MG celebrations were being held or not being held. Receiving the MG  menus from local restaurants made me wonder about whether MG celebrations were or were  not being held in NOLA. Thus I asked people here who live there to respond. I didn't say anything about thinking they were.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Mimi 1883 

@shoesnbags 

It wasn't clear to me, either ...  I didn't understand why restaurants would be sending menus regarding Mardi Gras.  All I had to do was google NOLA Mardi Gras and it was very clear that all public events had been canceled quite a while ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@FancyPhillyshopper wrote:

Mardi Gras is more than just a bunch of New Orleans festivities with parades and beads.

Mardi Gras is actually a religious component that is a prelude for Lent, which leads to Easter.  The day will still be recognized and honored.

There is no reason one should not order a special meal and help out the restaurants.

So far I have ordered special celebration meals for Cinco de Mayo, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's, all from different local restaurants here in Philly.

My DH would be extremely happy if I could get a NO Mardi Gras dinner shipped up here!

Restaurants need the business and the food is always wonderful!

@FancyPhillyshopper  There is "no reason" not to order a meal and support a restaurant? I'll give you one: COVID. Sorry you didn't think of it.  Please allow people to make their own decisions and not foist your choices on others.Your comfort level may not be someone else's.

If it is your choice not to use local restaurants, what difference is it what they are advertising.  Most are encouraging supporting small business and eateries....it can be done safely.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

@SoX wrote:

@shoesnbags wrote:

@Mimi 1883 wrote:

@Mimi 1883 

@shoesnbags 

It wasn't clear to me, either ...  I didn't understand why restaurants would be sending menus regarding Mardi Gras.  All I had to do was google NOLA Mardi Gras and it was very clear that all public events had been canceled quite a while ago.

It wasn't clear to me either. And if the OP doesn't live in NOLA and isn't going to order take-out from these restaurants in their area, what the heck was the point of the thread? Google could've answered the question allegedly being posed in just a few seconds. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~