Honored Contributor

I'm already getting restaurant menus emailed to me showing their special Mardi Gras food offerings. (I won't be partaking).

But that made me wonder if the MG festivities in New Orleans have been called off for this year?  I would think so but thus far I haven't read or heard anything about it.  So, you NOLA  people, any news?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mardi Gras and COVID

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee - I read where the Mayor did cancel the festivities due to Covid. But that was awhile ago - don't know if it has changed.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee   If New Orleans is doing it for money, they should be ashamed of themselves.  There are two new strains of Covid and Great Britain has another lockdown which is quite strict.  Countries and states need to be smart about this disease to get a grip on it so we don't need to be dancing in the streets right now.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

n/m

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

n/m

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1  I should have made clearer in my first post that I don't live anywhere near New Orleans. But restaurants here  often have special dishes for it, just for fun.

Respected Contributor

Mardi Gras is more than just a bunch of New Orleans festivities with parades and beads.

Mardi Gras is actually a religious component that is a prelude for Lent, which leads to Easter.  The day will still be recognized and honored.

There is no reason one should not order a special meal and help out the restaurants.

So far I have ordered special celebration meals for Cinco de Mayo, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's, all from different local restaurants here in Philly.

My DH would be extremely happy if I could get a NO Mardi Gras dinner shipped up here!

Restaurants need the business and the food is always wonderful!

Respected Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper 

We have been getting takeout weekly from our two small local restaurants. One accepts the tips while the other one refuses them.  

Their food is excellent and we support them  so they will stay with us.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Katcat1  I should have made clearer in my first post that I don't live anywhere near New Orleans. But restaurants here  often have special dishes for it, just for fun.

@Pearlee 

I'd like to respectfully request that you edit your OP to reflect that.  Your post makes it sound as if you are receiving menus from restaurants in New Orleans. Mardi Gras in New Orleans was cancelled by the mayor some time ago.  Citizens will still celebrate the day by decorating their homes, eating King Cakes, etc., but all public gatherings (parades, masked balls) have been cancelled. Mayor Cantrell has been very strict COVID wise, and has received a lot of flack for it.  Please consider altering your post - I live here and even I misunderstood what you were saying.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags  I already made it clearer. If people don't bother to read the whole thread, oh well.