Respected Contributor

Re: Many homes burning near LA

the big fire is Saddleridge in Sylmar-  Porter Ranch Granada Hills - these are the northern part of the San Fernando Valley, which is Los Angeles.

here in the south part of the valley in Tarzana the air is acrid and the northwest sky grey. cars are covered in ash.  as of now the superscoopers, helicopters and  firemen are fighting hard. the LAFD is the world's best .  i am not aware of any containment yet.  we had winds yesterday afternoon -  it's been quiet this a.m. but i see light breezes are starting. i hope this wasn't arson.  firebugs are scary.

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

It's great to feel sorry & pray for those folks - and I have relatives there.....but they know what occurs every year - yet- they rebuild and choose to stay.   Only once for me and I'd be out of there.

Ask my relatives - why?    Ans:   weather is great

OKAY

@fthunt I would be out of there too.  Better yet, I would never move to CA.  There are plenty of other areas of the country with beautiful weather and scenery.  Not to mention, CA has a lot of other problems as well.  I hope the brave firefighters can quickly get this under control.  I cannot imagine watching my home go up in flames.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

It's great to feel sorry & pray for those folks - and I have relatives there.....but they know what occurs every year - yet- they rebuild and choose to stay.   Only once for me and I'd be out of there.

OKAY

Weather is great in other places.  I'd be out of there real quick and hopefully, have enough smarts not to rebuild in the same area.  (I keep thinking of the definition of insanity.  Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.)

Honored Contributor

Those winds just cause so much damage,  every year ,several times, i would not be able to take living there at all.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why doesn't anyone slam tornado victims who live in mobile homes, admonishing them they should know better, that tornadoes happen all the time and they are insane to rebuild in tornado alley? Why? Why is it ok to put down California (it has other problems, as if states ranking 49 or 50, in say, education or health care availability and clean air and water, gobbling up federal funds paid into the government by the state of California, don't have ANY problems) but we whisper in quiet, reverent tones as Oklahoma rebuilds after tornadoes? Why is that?

Honored Contributor

I was born in Southern California (Pasadena) and from 3rd grade on lived in Orange County.  We never had any damage from fires, earthquakes, or the Santa Ana winds etc.  In the early 90's I moved to the Seattle area because so many people had moved to California and it had become so crowded.  People are living in places they never had before and you add that to the drought conditions and you have a recipe for disaster.  

Respected Contributor

Doesn’t this happen every year and sometimes more than once? Thousands of acres get destroyed and that kind of devastation can only go on or so long. 

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I was born in Southern California (Pasadena) and from 3rd grade on lived in Orange County.  We never had any damage from fires, earthquakes, or the Santa Ana winds etc.  In the early 90's I moved to the Seattle area because so many people had moved to California and it had become so crowded.  People are living in places they never had before and you add that to the drought conditions and you have a recipe for disaster.

Right. Despite some wanting to say this happens every year, it does not. There are fires, but not to the magnitude we see now. Not to the extent that an entire town is burned to the ground- every structure, every business,wiped off the map. And 80 people and countless animals dead. Their attempts to delude themselves and others into believing this is normal is just more gaslighting. Fortunately, most citizens are seeing right through it.

Regular Contributor

The utility company and or the municipalities affected can sell municipal bonds to pay for an antiquated infrastructure but why they haven't done so is the million dollar question. 

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

OKAY

The weather wouldn't be worth it for me.

Take time every day to enjoy where you are without a need to fix it