Esteemed Contributor

Re: Many homes burning near LA

I used to live in S.CA. and after I retired as moved to Nortthern AZ. (4 seasons, beautiful weather only problem is possibility of large wild fires).  CA is weird about "beautiful weather", what about ridiculous housing prices, gas that is always among country's highest, smog, low ranking schools (through h.s.).  Malibu fires are almost a bad joke (fires, rebuild, repeat).  CA is a beautiful state but sometimes you need to cut your losses.  The PG&E thing would be it for me!

Respected Contributor

@ann1989 wrote:

The utility company and or the municipalities affected can sell municipal bonds to pay for an antiquated infrastructure but why they haven't done so is the million dollar question. 

the fight is really more about good forest/brush clearance.

Honored Contributor

I am remembering those in the path of the fires with prayers for safety and courage. I did hear that a man died from a heart attack while trying to save his home. So very sad. One man against such a devastating fire is never a good thing,
Honored Contributor

@bathina wrote:

Why doesn't anyone slam tornado victims who live in mobile homes, admonishing them they should know better, that tornadoes happen all the time and they are insane to rebuild in tornado alley? Why? Why is it ok to put down California (it has other problems, as if states ranking 49 or 50, in say, education or health care availability and clean air and water, gobbling up federal funds paid into the government by the state of California, don't have ANY problems) but we whisper in quiet, reverent tones as Oklahoma rebuilds after tornadoes? Why is that?

@bathina, with some exceptions, you and I know the answer to your question.

Excellent post, by the way.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I saw some pics and I felt just awful. My heart broke for these people. It is just tragic to lose everything ,at any age...be safe

Honored Contributor

If I were to face a major catastrophe ,I certainly would never move away. I love it here. I am a life long resident, my family and my heart ,and roots are here

I am sure those that are burned out feel the same way. They don't deserve people deciding  they need to move. It is no one else's decision to make

My sympathy comes from my heart ,and I give it unconditionally. I will remember those in harms way in my prayers, and wish them the best

Trusted Contributor

@patbz -I live in Simi Valley which is just west of the Porter Ranch area.  There is so much smoke, they just issued an air quality alert due to all the particulates in the air.  We can see all the smoke in the distance (we're about 4 miles away).  We were so worrried all night as the fire kept moving in our direction because of the the horribly strong winds.  All night long, we had 1% humidity on our Accurite temp. gauge.  It is so dry.  The 118 freeway which is several blocks north of us was closed in both directions.  Because of the great work of our precious firefighters, they were able to open it up this afternoon.  God bless the tireless hard working firefighters, they have saved so many homes.  They said there was 1,000 evacuations.  Over 7500 acres burned - containment is at only 13%.  We have a long way to go before everything is back to normal.  I am so sad for all those directly affected.  Please pray for them.  

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

It's great to feel sorry & pray for those folks - and I have relatives there.....but they know what occurs every year - yet- they rebuild and choose to stay.   Only once for me and I'd be out of there.

Ask my relatives - why?    Ans:   weather is great

OKAY

These wildfires don't happen every year. We had 2 horrible wildfires a couple of years ago in Ventura County - all the way north to Santa Barbara ---- and the other started in Camarillo, CA and headed east/south toward San Diego. Most of California was affected - up and down the coast. Most people love living here - the weather and the lifestyle are great. Oprah's house in Montecito (Santa Barbara area) was hit almost 2 years ago - and she decided to fix it up.

I've lived in California for 53 years (from NYC/Brooklyn) and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. The fires, earthquakes and mudslides got a little too close to my house(s) - but I've been spared.

Respected Contributor

per 5 p m press conference, Saddleridge fire is still at 13% containment. with winds sticking around for another 25 hours it will be tough to make too much headway.  prayers for the people of the north valley and our magnificent LAFD.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

If I were to face a major catastrophe ,I certainly would never move away. I love it here. I am a life long resident, my family and my heart ,and roots are here

I am sure those that are burned out feel the same way. They don't deserve people deciding  they need to move. It is no one else's decision to make

My sympathy comes from my heart ,and I give it unconditionally. I will remember those in harms way in my prayers, and wish them the best

@cherry   You bring up several good points. I often read posts on this board by people being critical of California residents for staying in the state, in spite of some natural disasters that occur here. 

yes, people stay because they have family, jobs, history and more!   

A few weeks ago, my daughter found some stats on states and natural disasters.  The ones with the fewest are New Hampshire and Maryland.   So that leaves quite a few states that have their share.  How about some empathy for anyone who is facing a tough situation?